Pork Tenderloin Steaks

Instead of cutting them in half and smashing them, next time try cutting the tenderloin into about 1.5" sections and wrap a slice of bacon around them and fasten it with toothpicks. Then drop them on the grill.

I have tried both ways and prefer the bacon wrapped method best. It provides a juicier and tastier chunk of meat IMO.

Good stuff here.

Whenever McD's has "the return of the McRib" I get the urge to make a real pork sandwich.

I use a technique similar to Chris's oringinal post, except that I rotate the cut pork chunks and smash down on the face that I cut, instead of smashing on the topside (outside) of the piece. That way, I am smashing down directly against the grain of the meat instead of on the side of the meat. I think it makes for a more tender final product, which is better for a sandwich. Chris's way seems better to eat like a steak.

In any case, I brine those for an hour in a salt & sugar brine. Then I rub them down with my own pork rub mix. Let them chill like that for a while or overnight. Then grill over high heat, adding BBQ sauce for the last 5 minutes. Then onto a soft bun with more BBQ sauce, onions, & pickles. You'll never be want a McRib again.

Darrel, sounds like a great idea. Slice them sideways into round tenderloins about 2" thick and then smash them flat and BBQ those suckers into a burger like sandwich. It's on my to do list.

Back