Pork Steak vs CSR

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
I understand pork steaks are sliced butts. I asked my butcher and he gave me a blank stare.

Some posts here indicate they are the same as country style ribs. But CSRs here are much smaller, like ribs.

I'm thinking smoked pork steaks would be tasty and take a lot less time that a butt. Or do you have to grill them?

Chris, pork steak's, blade steaks come from the shoulder, csr's come from the rib section at the shoulder end of the whole loin, i believe its the meat between the rib bone and the feather bones when the spine is removed not 100% sure.

Around Houston i see country style ribs cut from the pork butt,thick cut pork steaks cut around an inch and a half thick,then cut in half and displayed in the tray standing up so they resemble ribs....The cut Noe referred to is what i would be looking for.In years past that cut was sometimes referred to as (western ribs).In reality country style ribs are almost always cut from the pork butt,a way to (merchandise) the pork butt to get more money out of it.I have even seen them cut from a bone in pork loin roast.Most meat cutters are expected to cut them from what pork that will turn in the better gross profit...just one way of making money in the meat department.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris E:
I understand pork steaks are sliced butts. I asked my butcher and he gave me a blank stare.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Next time,take a picture of a pork steak or a writeup about them, and just tell him to take a butt to the saw and cut you what you want. How much work is that for him? He should thank you for your purchase.

I used to go to a butcher that had great quality meat, but wasn't always flexible and knowledgeable. After finding my new butcher that does or gets anything I ask of him, I don't know why it took me so long to switch. I would suggest finding a good butcher to work with.

As for pork steaks, you could pickup a boneless pork butt and slice it to the size you would like. It will costs less per lb this way as the butcher has less processing time in it and you get to cut them exactly how you want.

Since the butt has to be cut to remove the bone, what would that do to the shape of the steaks?

Since CSRs are often boneless could it be that the presence or lack of a bone determines which cut a butt's better suited for?

Brad

I have cooked many of these in my years. I have smoked them and grilled them... either way is fine. When smoking I have often cooked them similar to ribs (although the pork steaks seem to take less time) by wrapping in foil before removing from the smoker and then placing them in a cooler with towels for the last hour or so. I have had some very tender and great tasting pork steaks this way. Give 'em a shot... I'm guessing you'll like the results.

mike

As JSMcdowell says,buying the butt at a sale price and cutting what you want from it would be the best way.A sharp knife,and anybody who has cleaned fish before would be able to remove the bone with very little practice and then slice it how you want.The presence or lack of a bone does not make a difference in what the pork butt can be cut in to.If a store has pork butts on sale for .99 cents,they are not making money selling them that way because they probably paid .85 cents or higher for the pork butt.The way to make money then is to cut lots of pork steaks,csr's,pork stew meat,and sell those items displayed at a higher price of course,displayed in a place where most customers would see them.Meat departments are in a store to make a profit.......and we have seen many more meat products coming in to the store boneless,because it is cost effective to remove the bone at the processing plant rather than pay the cost to ship bones.....Richard

Back