Pork Shoulder Picnic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Parr

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, my picnic has been on since 1:00pm, I used "Mr Brown" for the rub, but did not set it overnight...
Current temp at the grate is 228, internal temp was 175...that was...until my Maverick lost transmission at the reciever end AGAIN!!! Grrrr..
Now I'm going out every hour with a flashlight and checking the temp on the smoker. Thank God the WSM holds the temp so well or I would be in big trouble.
Planning on wrapping in foil and reheating for an early dinner tomorrow.
This is my first picnic...wish me luck..

Well at 1:30 this morning I finally gave up and pulled the picnic off...the Maverick was registering 180 for hours with no budge in site...when I walked out that last time and the Maverick registered 179 with no change in grill temp...I just gave up. I pulled a piece off and it pulled nicely with a nice bark...
I will heat it today for an early dinner before work.
We'll see...

Similar thing happened with my first butts.

Temp finally reached 186*F and then slowly fell back to 180*F with no change in grate temp. They had been on for nearly 3hrs/lb so I took them off and they pulled effortlessly.

Butts are strange.

Well, I heated the picnic up in at 350 for about an hour and a half or so...It pulled like a dream and melted in your mouth. I drizzled some KC mixed with honey over it...
We have a winner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back