Pork Carnitas.....my way

John Mongrue

TVWBB Member
So, after an extended vacation in California and finding great food, specifically these great pork carnitas soft tacos, I was on a quest to taste them every where we visited and attempt to create it at home. I spoke with most of the owners, operator/ chef's of the food trucks and restaraunts on how they prepared their tacos and the spices and sauces used. Mine is sort of a confused soft taco, combining input from all of these masterful cooks and their passion for this one, simple item and my love for slow and low cooked food.

My quest started out with a traditional pork butt, injected with carnitas marinade, dry rubbed seasoned with carnitas spice and slow cooked on my weber. Reduced the carnitas liquid marinade and added some pan drippings, foiled and wrapped the pork butt in this delicious liquid, pulled and served on a corn tortilla, garnished with plain red cabbage, red wine vinegar soaked red onions and fire roasted serrano, lime, cilantro and avocado dressing. Enjoy!

editpreviewsnc.jpg

5m4r.jpg

7w6q.jpg

That is some serious food! Love it...Killer pics aswell! Welcome John looking forward to hear more from ya!

What a great first post!!
Tacos look delicious...:)
Like Wolgast said...looking forward to seeing more cooks from you..

Thanks guys. I've been lurking for quite a long time and have gotten to a point where I can take pictures and cook at the same time! There are some serious cooks on this forum.

John, I would pass every taco truck and restaurant for 100's of miles on my way to your backyard. I will even bring the beer! Excellent cook!

John, every GREAT cook area requires a good broom... glad to see you're equipped!
Your carnitas look EXCELLENT! I can only imagine they tasted better than EXCELLENT!

Welcome to our backyard!

That looks outstanding! I would love to get a recipe for that avocado dressing.
Cilantro-lime-avocado sauce

1/2 cup ranch dressing (or you can make your own ranch spice and mix in with a little more sour cream and mayo, instead)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Juice of 4 limes or 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
Zest of 1/2 to 3/4 lime
1 to 2clove of garlic, minced
2/3 bunch cilantro, tops only, no stalk
1 avocado
3 Cubanelle peppers, grilled and peeled of charred skin (or you can use serranos, anaheims, or whatever your heat preference)

Place all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth

Enjoy!

Back