Pork butts tonight, ribs tomorrow

Susan Z

TVWBB Guru
My friends have demanded pulled pork for dinner tomorrow, and who am I to refuse, especially when my darling Godson is involved? (I'm catering his bday party again this year, at his request! LOVE that kid). And since brisket is just still unbelievably expensive ($4.89/lb, ouch, and that's for a skinny flat) and hard to find, and since spares are on sale, I'm going to give them another try. They probably know that I love my ribs on the rotis, and are mad as heck at me. BUT...I am totally going to give them a shot.

I figure the butts will go on late tonight and the ribs can join them sometime tomorrow. Supposed to rain tonight. O joy!

Butts are either getting texas bbq rub dosed up with turbinado sugar, OR fatz's pig powder (similarly dosed up, but man is it good stuff).

The worst imaginable! I unearthed some Danish pork ribs (yes, those meatless wonders) in my freezer. I'm actually thinking of throwing them on just for the heckuvit. At least I'll get them out of my life.

What say you?

It gets worse and worse for this bbq! The good news is, I found the texasbbqrub and also Fatz's pig powder, so that parts good. Plus I've loaded her with charcoal and hickory, got water ready for the water pan which is freshly foiled, and cleaned the grates. BUT...now my maverick has turned up missing! Actually, I have half of it. The receiver is here (in my room---my new mantra) but the transmitter and its friendly probes are gone, baby, gone!

I found the guru, but I don't want to use it if it's going to rain, and because I've only sporadically mastered the good neighbor feature and this is an overnighter.

So...do I run down to the local 5 and 10 and pick up a Weber remote thermo, OR (as I'm more inclined to do) should I just put my year or so of experience and wing it?

Do it- get them outta your life. Spice them up and turn them into an appetizer-y thing or something.

Cook um and slice the meat off and throw it in your baked beans!
icon_wink.gif

That's a great idea! Altho somewhere on this very board I swear someone said they got some that tasted 'fishy.'

Ewww.

Those things can be so horrid. You could 3-2-1 but I can't imagine they'll need more than 4 hours if you foil, maybe 4.5. Maybe a 3-.75-whatever-it-takes-to-finish deal. Or, you could just chuck them on and wing it. Probably benfit from a time in foil though.

You know--if you have a little ginger-lime syrup leftover--you could do a spicy rub on the Danish things, cook them whatever way, then just before pulling paint on a thin veneer of ginger syrup as a glaze (mix 3 parts warm syrup with 1 part melted butter beforehand). Allow a min or two for the glaze to set a bit; pull; slice to individual ribs; serve the little suckers. Might just give them enough je-ne-c'est-quois to make them work.

Hey, I like the sound of that, Kevin! I'd best go start that syrup so it can get done and cooled down.

Maybe I'll use the guru tonight after all, since my maverick has pulled a disappearing act. Once life gets back to normal (was it ever normal?) I'll get organized and back in the swing, and I bet that maverick will show itself.

Susan, been reading your posts. I think you need to light up a cigar,throw on the those bad boys and start smoking 'em. Remember it's enjoying the journey not necessarily the destination that's important. But of course when you've got BBQ at the end of your journey it does make getting there a heck of alot more worthwhile

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Susan Z:
... I'll get organized and back in the swing, and I bet that maverick will show itself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe you left it where you found the avacado ?
icon_smile.gif

Paul

I looked there just in case, but no dice. Nor maverick,for that mattter.

I've had a change of heart and decided to enlist the guru. Moved the whole shebang further from my neighbor's window, and if all goes well I'll be able to fire it up in 'good neighbor' mode later tonight anyhoo.

Got a plastic bag ready in case it rains (so far, so good). It's cool enough out that all the creepy nighttime beetly bugs that hang around out there should be scarce (I hope! They give me the heebiejeebies).

Butts are on! Slathered with mustard and rubbed with Fatz's pig powder plus turbinado sugar. Guru is on, hopefully in the good neighbor mode, which ideally will not be needed tonight anyhow, safely (we hope) tucked inside a baggie while the rain drizzles down upon it.

Hope I'll sleep tight while the guru does its thing....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Susan Z:
See how much ribs hate me? There weren't even any at the store!

Curses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ironic....I went to Costcos the other day and ZERO ribs there also! Good thing I didn't go for ribs, but just went over to check the price while the Wife was shopping.
Susan, Where do you set your top vent? If I set mine to 1/2, my Guru alarm never goes off, no need to use the G.N. feature. The only time it goes off is when I turn it off, open the lid to do something, then turn it back on and the grate temp has dropped from the lid being open. When I turn the guru back on, I just hit the reset and all is well again. If I have the time, I just put the lid on, and wait 10 minutes before I turn the guru back on. I have the Guru in one of those extra large ziplock freezer bags in case it rains.

Oh yes, mustard slathered pork butts. My choice too. Cant go back to the "unslathered" ever again. Plus slathering it is fun for my kids.

Hey Susan, dont let the bugs bother you, they are harmless. Get you a big ol bug zapper. Electric fun for all to see.
icon_smile.gif

Hey Suzan, I'm a little north of you in Columbia, MD. I've got the BB's in right now as well, but as you can no doubt see, it is a total gully washer outside. I wouldn't be surprised if my smoker floated down the ravine behind my house.

Dale, my beasties scamper around the ground looking shiny and terrifying, but I'm sure they're friendly.

Darrell, what a great day for Q-ing! But the WSM is humming along and the butts are looking great.

Guess I'll toss those nasty ribs on.

I'm making some baked beans and had 'em JUST PERFECT, so why did I go and add some more onion? Now all I taste is onion. Blast! How do you fix something goofy like that?

On edit: threw the ribs on. They don't actually look that bad, so we'll see how they do.

If your onion doth offend thee, pluck it out. So I did! All the biggest chunks of my 'onion stew with beans' have been removed, so now it's back to being pork and beans primarily. yeesh

Back