Pork Butt vs Pork Shoulder

G

I have seen both, and mainly cooked what is labeled as shoulder or shoulder roast.

What is the difference?

Originally posted by Doug:
I have seen both, and mainly cooked what is labeled as shoulder or shoulder roast.

What is the difference?
Click me
icon_wink.gif

It's the cut above the shoulder.

A shoulder is broken down into two cuts - the picnic and the butt. The picnic is the lower portion of the shoulder and the butt is the uper portion. The picnic contains a shank bone and is partially covered with skin. The butt has a small blade bone and no visible skin.

Which type to cook is a very personal preference. I prefer the butt portion. I find there is less prep work and the meat seems to be moister than the picnic. Both cuts are fairly inexpensive (picnics are a tad bit cheaper) so I would try both and see which one you prefer.

Amazing,

Thanks guys, I thought it was a dumb question.

Do you ever put Pork on the top rack to baste a brisket on the lower. I did this on my first cook and the brisket was really good.

Originally posted by Doug:
Amazing,

Thanks guys, I thought it was a dumb question.

Do you ever put Pork on the top rack to baste a brisket on the lower. I did this on my first cook and the brisket was really good.
It's done all the time, i.e. B over B. Do a search here for Butts over Brisket, you'll find tons of threads.
icon_biggrin.gif
Now the next time you do up a Butt or a Brisket, put a pan of beans under it and you'll be in heaven.
icon_wink.gif

Am I correct in stating that the butt is the actual shoulder region that includes the shoulder blade. Whereas the picnic corresponds to the "biceps" portion of the joint.

Originally posted by tjkoko:
Am I correct in stating that the butt is the actual shoulder region that includes the shoulder blade. Whereas the picnic corresponds to the "biceps" portion of the joint.
Yes, Butt is the top of the shoulder while the picnic is the lower bicep forearm portion, with the shank/wrist removed for ham hocks, and the feet for pickled pigs feet. "shudder comes over me".
icon_eek.gif

The "hammy" taste of your picnic could mean that it was brined prior to packaging. More meats, including chicken, are being brined prior to sale.

BRINING PISSES ME OFF ROYALLY.

Somethimes you may find it says boston butt.If you have a sams club or BJs club in your area they will have the best prices on a two pack of BUTTS

I've cooked both, and haven't really noted a difference. However, it always seems to me that the picnic shoulder is cut much larger than a butt (at least in my supermarkets it is). I would think that the larger the piece of meat, the less bark/meat ratio there would be. Thus, less taste.

Iv'e done them both and only do Butts now. IMO there's too much waste with the picnic. You pay for a lot of skin and bone that just goes into the trash.

Back