Pork butt not stalling

Mike from Iowa

I put a 7.5 lb. porkbutt on at 4 am and now at 10:30 am it is at 180 internal. Grill temps at 235 checking with 2 different thermos. This butt has shown no sign of slowing down and going into its stall. Is this normal for them not to stall? And if so what effect will it have on it for pulling? Also if this is done by noon will it stay warm foiled in a cooler for 6 hours or is that to long of a foil

Have you tried you're meat probe in a few other locations? Ya might be close to touching a bone or in a fat pocket.

Tim

I've probed in 5-6 different spots now and they all read 200* this was with 2 known good thermos, wrapped in towels now and resting in cooler. Strange that it never stalled?

Mike,

When you probed was the meat tender, like going into soft butter? That's the only real indicator the butt was done. I've never had a butt that big not go into stall. That is strange. I've held butts up to 5 hours in a cooler and still be 140 degrees. Set a kettle full of boiling water in your cooler to warm it up before putting the meat in making sure to have a towel under the kettle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Total time on the smoker was 8.5 hours </div></BLOCKQUOTE>...for a 7.5 lb .... not usual

Just checked both thermos in boiling water and they are within a degree of each other. I will know in a couple hours how it turned out. You say it in not usual for this quick of a smoke, you got me kind nervous now, maybe I'll crack a cold one to take off the edge

Quite unusual @ 235, but hey as long as it worked out that's all that matters!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

All my fears were erasised when I cut back the foil and started to pull this butt apart, it was simply amazing how easy it pulled and the flavor was to die for. The best compliment was when one quest said and I quote her ( I could take my clothes off and just roll in that stuff its so good) I think I'll be making a bigger one next time

Mike, were you awake for the entire cook?
7.5 pounds at high heat sound very obtainable.
If you went to bed, maybe the smoker got hotter then expected, thus shortening the length of the cook.
Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
If you went to bed, maybe the smoker got hotter then expected, thus shortening the length of the cook.
Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Heck no I wasn't awake the whole time, It was was St. patty's the day day before, and beings I'm 100% Irish I had to partake in few beverages I was lucky to wake up and throw it on the smoker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike from Iowa:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Heck no I wasn't awake the whole time, It was was St. patty's the day day before, and beings I'm 100% Irish I had to partake in few beverages I was lucky to wake up and throw it on the smoker, but I do know every time I checked the temp it was in the 235 range </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
ooooooo, MIke you gotta post that recipe!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I used Chris lillys championship butt recipe

I just took the thermo probe and let it hang down thru one of the holes in the lid vent. I assume it was at about the level of the top of the meat or slightly below

Back