pork butt fat cap?

Dan Godwin

TVWBB Member
Does anyone do anything with it once it's removed from the pork butt? Render it? Cook it and feed it to the dogs? I always try to use every part of the animal when I cook.

Dan, I never remove the fat cap. It's always rendered down. Butts are real simple. Slather up,put on rub, throw on smoker, enjoy. :)

I remove the fat cap prior to the cook. I think there's plenty of marbled fat in the butt without a 1/4" fat cap on there. I slice it and lay it on the grill if I need to season the grill a bit more...say after a cleaning or something. Other than that I discard it.

I always cook FC down.( no trimming) once rendered you get that little piece of heavenly meat called the false cap which is the cooks snack. BryanS was the one that clued me in on that tip.:wsm:

Tim

Make a kind of faux lardo with it. I say faux because lardo is usually made with pork fat back which is a fairly thick cut. Much more so than 1/4". Would still be delicious though.

I always cook FC down.( no trimming) once rendered you get that little piece of heavenly meat called the false cap which is the cooks snack. BryanS was the one that clued me in on that tip.:wsm:

Tim
Agreed. No need to remove it first. Actually, I do no trimming of butts or briskets. Spares I trim to St Louis.

One time I got a picnic with the intention of removing that tough skin/fat, thinking I could make/fry up some pork rinds ("porkies") with it and still have p.p.

Most vile things I ever made. Now I just leave it on.

I trim the fat cap to leave about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of fat on the butt. I take the trimmings and place them in a foil pan with holes punched in the bottom. When I put the butt on the smoker, I place the pan on the rack directly above the meat. During the cook the rendering fat automatically bastes the meat. After I foil the butt, I remove the auto-baster and give what's left to the dogs. You can also do this with bacon (those packages of bacon ends and pieces are great for this) but when I use bacon - the dogs are out of luck...

Regards,

John

Back