Pork Butt - Brine: Yes or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Jennings

TVWBB Fan
Will be doing a 7 lb butt tomorrow. However this time I'm thinking of brining first. This wiould be my first brine of a pork butt. Like to get input from those of you that have tried this method. Also if I do I'm assumming to add the rubb just before smoking.

Thanks

Not to deter you from experimentation, but I don't think I would bother brining a butt. With as much intramuscular fat as there is in one, there's plenty to keep things moist. Injecting would actually be a better way to get flavor into the meat if that is your aim.

I agree with Doug, not really a need to brine. I have injected a couple of times and was pretty happy with the results! That would be the way to go if you ask me.

I've watched the big competitions on the Food Channel and I'm begining to see the big guys injecting butts with extra flavor. I have not done it myself, but I'm definitely leaning toward doing it someday. No brine needed.

My last cook was not with rub, but with Sambal (chili paste) in a zip bag with the butt overnight. Then just a standard overnight smoke. You can get the Sambal stuff at Asian markets. It puts alot of flavor in the meat.

Sonny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back