Pork belly char siu

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Some sweet, savory, and fatty rich marinated pork belly for dinner tonight.

Bought this as precut logs and already deskinned at Costco.

Cut them into 3-4” pieces so I can get more crispy bits and edges.

Target temp will be 250-275°F. Thinking about 2-2.5 hours total cook time due to the belly already being cut up so less dense for heat penetration.

They’re in the fridge for a few hours. Likely will start at 3p with the WSK.

1694367396335.jpeg

1694367429394.jpeg

Niners off to a fast start. Looking forward to a great game.

it was pretty tasty. served with corn (cooked with a pat of butter in the aluminum foil packs) and some zuke coins dipped in a batter and pan fried in EVOO and then lightly salted.

some leftovers will be a fried rice for dinner with some of the zuke pieces cut up, some corn cut off the cobb and into the rice and some seasoning. if there's still leftovers, i'll freeze those and have these logs for when i need/want some (soups and such).

PB does well when smoked. but it's also quite rich with all that fat.

it was pretty tasty. served with corn (cooked with a pat of butter in the aluminum foil packs) and some zuke coins dipped in a batter and pan fried in EVOO and then lightly salted.

some leftovers will be a fried rice for dinner with some of the zuke pieces cut up, some corn cut off the cobb and into the rice and some seasoning. if there's still leftovers, i'll freeze those and have these logs for when i need/want some (soups and such).

PB does well when smoked. but it's also quite rich with all that fat.

That'll be GOOD in some fried rice!

looking good - I have a love / hate relationship with Costco pork bellys- the love part being as you mention, they are skinned .. that makes life so much easier!

Great looking cook. We have a Costco close by. I might have to take a look into the pork belly you described. Would you mind sharing details of the marinade process. Thanks.

What's the hate part? I was going to grab one soon.
maybe hate was the wrong word - Guilt may describe it better - we try our best to source our meat locally and responsibly - With 'try' the optimal word in there. We're certainly not perfect, but I struggle with the factory farm concept - We live in a rural area, and feel its import to try to support our local farmers - With that, I do like the pork belly from Costco mainly due to how they are trimmed and priced - they also have them when you want them.... I also like the Costco lamb chops - hard to beat the price.... A man torn! its a balancing act for us, I guess.

Pork belly looks great, cooking like at my house now instead of all those charred peppers and rice dishes...????
I can’t sustain eating like this all the time. Way to heavy. We finished the PB last night with the fried rice dish, and will get to something light for a few days. Two briskets coming up this Fri and Sat.

Might do soup for the next two days.

Brett, the book I am going to use today is "1,001 Low-Fat Recipes". Thanks to you mentioning soup, I went to the index to check their soups. Oh my goodness, there are 62 low fat soup recipes. I will type some up (if you want) if you tell me what kind of soups you like.

Back