Polder Thermometer Durability / Reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I figured a Polder probe-type thermometer with an extra probe or two would be a good investment; however, I followed the clicks to the Amazon site and there are some negative reviews on the durability of the probes. These reviews may be from people who were unlucky enough to have been shipped defective probes while perhaps (??) the vast majority of probes work fine. Do people here generally find that the Polder devices are reasonably reliable?

Dave...

I am going on my 6th year of using the same probes...I had one that failed me but that sat out in a blizzard a few years back and never recovered.

I also place the wires underneath the lid and they all still work.

Each of my thermo's is off by 3-5? but that is minor in my opinion. They are also clones and I have no idea what brand. I bought so many because I caught them on close out.....$5 apiece!!!

On the other hand.....my neighbor got one for Xmas...name brand, but I forget which brand, his failed after just one cook! They did replace for free and it has worked ever since.

I suggest keeping your reciepts just in case.

I get mine from Thermoworks. The are calibrated to within 1 degree and built for commercial smokehouses. They are the best but the best costs. These guys are $135.00 each. I now have five of them. We use them for competition and other general smoking use. When you really want to know the real temperature they are great.

Idunno, I heard the Maverick ET-73 was arguably the best, so I bought mine last summer...works great!

Good price on it here.

Dave, I saw the same reviews on Amazon. I'm not sure how much faith one should put into reviews like those because of the variables involved. Did they let the temp. exceed 400*, or leave it out in the weather, drop it or what? Those are just a few of the many who have bought the Polder. However, I did finally go with the ET-73 and am very happy with it. John L's link will take you to thegadgetsource.com which is where I bought mine. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back