Please help: Lid of WSM stuck to body!!

Jeremiah Sullivan

TVWBB Member
I used the search function but was not able to find another instance of this happening.

I smoked a brisket last Tuesday, after I was done I did my normal routine, close all the vents to put out the coals. Came back a day later, and bam, cannot get the lid off the darn thing. It's to the point where I can carry the lid + mid section by the lid's handle without any fear of it separating and dropping.

Once I get this separated I am never going to leave it on like that again. The only thing I can think of is maybe some fat got on there and solidified?

Will firing this baby up again help dissolve whatever the hell is holding this together? Anyone experience this before?

Got a good seal I see.

A little effort should get them apart. Hot water and a towel or paper towel should remove some of the "stuff" that's holding them together.

Russell

Good to know I am not the only one this has happened to.

When the vents are shut down I am sure a lot of bad stuff goes on inside the wsm. The stuff that is giving the lid that reflective black finish is mixing with some pork fat and giving it an adhesive value.

When this happened to me I tapped the lip where the lid and mid section meet until it finally gave up and came apart. I remember it being very frustrating. When I finally got them seperated I gave the two meeting surfaces a good 1 2 with a grill brush.

The buildup is great for sealing off leaks but not so good for sticking. Keeping it somewhat clean will help minimize the problem.

Reheating will soften the gunk if you do not want to bang on the outside while applying upward pressure on the lid.

I have even thought of using a paint can lid opener if it happens to me again.

You are not alone.

ps: I tend to spin the lid around a little after cooking just so nothing has time to set for an extended time.

I've had the same problem; but not quite as bad. You might try spraying some degreaser or 409 into the channel where the lid meets the center section. Let it sit for a couple of hours or overnight. It should release by then, or you might try pouring some boiling water over the lid so that it drains into the channel.

I don't think anyone needs to remind you any more to wipe out that section after each cook.
icon_wink.gif

Rita

Oh man, thanks guys I feel so much better now. I knew the good folks on the WSM boards would know what do do!

I'll let you guys know how it turns out. If I'm going to have to drag my WSM back outside (live in 2nd fl. apt), I might as well cook something
icon_biggrin.gif

Is your wsm new ?
icon_eek.gif
If so when you close down after a smoke use a wood match stick and put the match between body and lid to leave a small gap
icon_wink.gif
It shoud stop sticking after a few cooks, don't clean just let it go

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay Lopa:
Is your wsm new ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes? Maybe? Dunno. I've done 8 racks (all at once) and a brisket flat w/smoked sausages totaling to 2 prior bbq sessions. I definitely suppose my cooker would fall into the "new category" being as this was only my third cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> don't clean just let it go </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that's what I like to hear! I am a bit lazy when it comes to cleanup time.
icon_biggrin.gif

One more thing you want to watch - look inside the lid itself occasionally, and check to see if you have dark rust-colored or black flaky stuff forming. Upon just the right weather and heat conditions, this stuff will let go of the lid and literally rain down upon your meat and give it a case of the carbon measles. Every few cooking sessions just wad up a piece of foil and scrub out the lid, and you can avoid acquiring a case of the dreaded speckled butt syndome.
icon_smile.gif

Keri C

All:

Many thanks, I just got the lid off by placing the two parts in the bath rub and pouring boiling water. Once the hot water set in for 30 seconds it came off fairly easily.

Non-related question:

Due to the landlords having company over I was unable to do a butt last weekend. I put it in the freezer 12 hours after preparing it (with mustard and rub). I've had it in the fridge for 24 hours which hasn't thawed it that much at all, it's now on the counter and I'm checking it every few hours. I would like to smoke it tomorrow. Does this raise any red flags? The way I figured it as long as I thaw it I should be 100%.

Keri:

Lid looks great, thanks for the heads up.

At average refrigerator temps, frozen roasts like pork butt typically take 12 hours/lb. to completely thaw. Some here have reported cooking less than totally thawed butts without problem. If it were me, I would put that previously handled meat back in the refrigerator.

People like Doug D (is there anybody really like Doug
icon_smile.gif
) will give you very wise, research supported advice on food saftey. I, however, will simply tell you what I do that hasn't hurt me, to my knowledge. I always leave very large, thick cuts of meat out several hours to begin the thawing process. If they're are still very cold and partially frozen when you return them to the frig to finish thawing ... well, I'm still around.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

I put it back in the fridge after a few hours out, it's better to be safe.

In the fridge for about another 12 hours and put it on the WSM about 1 hour ago. When I slid the probe in it was a little icy near the center, but seemed like more crystalization than anything dense.

It's about 6 lbs after trimming, hopefully the semi-thawed state won't add too much time onto the cook, I'd be happy with anything around 12 hours give or take an hour or two.

Back