Plain ole chicken thighs

Jim H.

TVWBB All-Star
Sometimes, you just want to stick to the basics. We have family in town for a funeral and I wanted to grill something for them. Got a late start because we were talking, and I didn't have time to marinade or brine some chicken thighs before cooking them, so I sprinkled on a little homemade dry rub and let them sit for 30 minutes while I got everything else together. Peeled & chopped up some potatoes for crash hots and washed salad greens for a fairly quick dinner.

As usual, I didn't think to take any pics before grilling, but that's not a bad thing. One day I aspire to create complete posts that look as good as Lampe, Wolgast, Corell and Solak, but until then, I have to rely on my spotty memory to remember to take pics while cooking. Maybe I need a script to remind me to take pics at different intervals while the process unfolds. Will have to work on that!

Now for the good stuff. Half a chimney of KBlue, one cherry chunk and one apple chunk for flavor. I'm always concerned about oversmoking chicken, so I go lightly on the smoke wood. It should compliment the chicken, not overpower it.
0221122029.jpg

Plated pic. For the crash hots, I didn't parboil long enough, so they were a little less mashable than I like before I put them in the oven, so I added some butter & EVOO, along with Penzey's Forward, garlic salt & some Penzey's Tuscan Sunset.
0221122049c.jpg

Thought about saucing the chicken, but I was already serving dinner later than I wanted, so I went without. Amazingly enough, the chicken tasted like... well... Chicken!
icon_cool.gif

Sometimes, simple is best. Chicken had a great crispy skin, crash hots were buttery and moist and the salad was... salad. Dinner doesn't have to be fancy, just good. This meal covered that perfectly.

Thanks for looking.

Aloha Jim... One of my favorite ways of grilling chicken is with sea salt and only sea salt. I grew up in Hawaii and basically we grilled food; meat,fish,chicken and even veggies with simple seasonings... sea salt and sometimes black pepper. I am learning how to smoke foods and use rubs, very lightly though, since I don't want to "overpower" any food. I have cooked whole hogs in an imu (underground oven) and also rotissed hogs using only salt. I guess it all depends on personal tastes... Old habits and tastes are sometimes difficult to change... LOL

aloha...joe

Keep it simple and let the Protein taste like that with an enchantment of pepper/salt that is...Might be the best in many cases! Looks great and i wish i could taste som of it right now!

Fine looking chicken!

I like just salt and pepper too but if I see a new spice at the store I have to buy it. I have a lot of spices I haven't even opened yet. I guess I am too compulsive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a lot of spices I haven't even opened yet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Me too John.

Great looking Chicken Jim

Terrific looking thighs and sides Jim!

I'm still cleaning goo off the grate from my last chicken cook using bbq sauce, I'll go plain next time too.

Great Chicken Jim! I guess me and John are brothers..since I am very compulsive too! Have spices I have never opened, camera equipment I haven't used, but needed, etc...
icon_biggrin.gif

plain ol' thighs are EXACTLY what i'm hungry for RIGHT NOW!
Got Leftovers?

Great lookin' shé~cone Jim!

Jim, I like the thermal pic of the grill vent. Have to try out my company's thermal cam on my next time. Thanks for inspiration!

Thanks for the kind words. I think thighs are becoming my favorite chicken to eat and to cook. That's saying something from a guy who ate pretty much nothing but white meat chicken growing up.

@ Lampe - yessir, had a few leftover. Chicken and taters for lunch today! I will put a couple in the mail for you if you like.
icon_biggrin.gif

I just threw out some half full jars of spices that were too old or I didn't like. Why? to make room for new stuff! Just got a sample pack from Oakridge and I will give them a try this weekend.

@ Ted - the thermal pic is an editing filter on Photobucket that I thought I would try. It looked cooler than the night vision filter I was using, so that's my avatar for now. Would love to see a real thermal image of a vent/kettle/WSM. That would show where the hot spots are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">@ Ted - the thermal pic is an editing filter on Photobucket that I thought I would try. It looked cooler than the night vision filter I was using, so that's my avatar for now. Would love to see a real thermal image of a vent/kettle/WSM. That would show where the hot spots are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will remember to take the camera home for the next cook and see how it looks. I can take pics with it, so i will share when I do.

Back