Pizza Sunday

Nate Frost

TVWBB All-Star
I haven't posted in a few days so I figured I should post some pics of my second pizza cook on the kettle. The last time I used a Chicago style thin dough, this time I went with a New York dough. I used the same setup as before. The only question I have is, will using lump help me get higher temps? It's hard for me to keep my temp up with kingsford.

Just put on the grill

Finished

Had a little to much flour on my counter when making the pizza that why the bottom looks like this.

Looks good, so do you preheat the Stone? I always preheated the stone when I used it in the oven but there are some threads on here about cracking a pre-heated stone, now using the oven I was only up to 450-475. I also noticed you have the stone elevated, nice idea. To your question about lump, I have found lump provides more heat and usually do a mixture of KBB with lump if I want to get the heat up but I don't recall ever getting the kettle over 450, maybe 475 but never 500 like the gasser.

Looks good, so do you preheat the Stone? I always preheated the stone when I used it in the oven but there are some threads on here about cracking a pre-heated stone, now using the oven I was only up to 450-475. I also noticed you have the stone elevated, nice idea. To your question about lump, I have found lump provides more heat and usually do a mixture of KBB with lump if I want to get the heat up but I don't recall ever getting the kettle over 450, maybe 475 but never 500 like the gasser.

Yep, I preheated the stone for 30 minutes. It's a cheapo $5 stone. Stone temp measured 520* on the side near the coals and 480* on the other. Air temp just above the stone was running just over 500*. It took about 9-10 minutes for this pizza and the temp dropped just under 500 towards the end. I did get the air temp back up to about 550* before putting the second pizza on. Oh, I rotate the pizza 180 about half way through since the stone is hotter on one side.

Lump will be hotter. You will also get higher temps if you prop your lid up off the bowl about 1/4-1/2 an inch. I use 2 rottisiere skewers set across the bowl. If you do this and close the top vent you get a nice convection in the kettle. I also use 2 full chimneys of lump and spread all around the interior wall of the kettle for a more even heat and of course preheat the stone in the oven. I can do about 4-5 pizzas at 6-8 minutes per pizza before I have to add any coals.

Lump will be hotter. You will also get higher temps if you prop your lid up off the bowl about 1/4-1/2 an inch. I use 2 rottisiere skewers set across the bowl. If you do this and close the top vent you get a nice convection in the kettle. I also use 2 full chimneys of lump and spread all around the interior wall of the kettle for a more even heat and of course preheat the stone in the oven. I can do about 4-5 pizzas at 6-8 minutes per pizza before I have to add any coals.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give it a try.

Great looking pie. I have found the best way to get high temps is to use a combination of kingsford blue and oak splits. I have gotten temps up high enough to do pizza in about 4-6 minutes.

Great looking pie Nate, I use charcoal and hardwood to get my kettle hot, I can usually get over 500 degrees this way.

Back