Pit probe placement in WSM?

Hugh B

Using ATC what is the best placement of the pit probe in the WSM ? I Have tried near the center below the rack and found it went wild if something dripped on it. After that I put the probe through one of the 1/4 inch hole (with a short probe) that holds the grate with some success but I'm still not happy. Yes the temp will differ from the dome but I just want the temp in the dome to keep around the 225.

I usually try to attach it to the top grate, as close to the middle as you can get it. Obviously you will have some meat on there, so put it a couple inches away from the meat. You want to know that the temperatures right there around the meat are at 225, your target temp.

I also go top grate as close to the middle as possible in my 18.5. I don't see any real fluctuations just steady as she goes.I pretty much ignore the dome and go with the probe temp. Also if there are any spikes in temp I don't get excited it typically settles back down to where you want it.

My pit probe passes through a grommet that replaces one of the screws for grate support and sits about 1" just inside the rim. While taking Harry Soo's class back in Jan 2012, I took note of where he places his probe. Since we both run Stokers, I thought it best to duplicate what Harry does. This placement allows the probe to measure the heat applied to the cooking area rather than measuring the heat after/while being affected by cooler meat. Probably not that important unless you are trying to control the heat as given off by the coals.

Bob my probe is in the same place but is not more than 3/8 in that includes the nut so the probe is only 1/8 inch. Perhaps I shound find one a little longer.

What do you think?

I have used the rubber grommet on the side and also I have just dangled it through the top vent down about 5" and it seems to read pretty accurate.

I cut a slot on the rim of my wsm and place my probe as far away from the edge as possible to get away from the direct heat coming up the sides, but also try to stay a couple of inches away from the cool meat.

I find that if the probe is very close to the side of the smoker it reads way too high. I figured that is from measuring the heat coming up the side of the cooker. If I can't attach to the grate away from the edge and away from cold meat, I hang through the vent. Different strokes.

Thanks Bob,I'm using a exhaust probe that fits the 1/4 inch hole while providing support for the grid bracket.

Back