Pig's Worst Nightmare Apple Rub

Frank S

TVWBB Super Fan
I really like John Henry's Apple rub, so I thought that I'd try my hand at making my own using the Pig's Worst Nightmare recipe. Made it this past weekend and used it on an 8 lb. butt. It was really good. Here is the recipe:

Pigs Worst Nightmare Apple Rub

6 Tbsp Ground Dried apple
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
3 Tbsp Coarse Salt
1 Tsp Sweet Paprika
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
½ Tsp Ground Black Pepper

You can try to make apple powder on your own by very thinly slicing apples and baking them in a 250 degree oven for a couple of hours or you can take the lazy man's route and buy apple powder online. I chose the latter. Here is a site where you can buy apple powder: http://www.naturesflavors.com/product_info.php/products_id/4327

Here's a place that just sells the apple powder, the added sugar. This way, if more of an apple flavor is desired, one can just add the apple powder without adding all the sugar along with it.
icon_wink.gif
Link to pure apple powder. Thanks for posting the recipe.
icon_cool.gif

is the apple powder noticeable in the final product?

seems a flavor like that might not last during a long cook and better applied with a finish sauce.

I've been wrong before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
is the apple powder noticeable in the final product?

seems a flavor like that might not last during a long cook and better applied with a finish sauce.

I've been wrong before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think 'bark boost' would be a perfect way to use it. I sure wasn't happy with the rub I tried with apple cider powder ... but I've not tried apple powder to compare it to.

Have you tried mixing some rub in with the pulled pork? That should bring in a little more flavor.

Back