Pig tails.

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
First time I ran across some in the supermarket.
I'm guessing these would be used for beans or greens, maybe a rice dish?
Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220622_074550.jpg
    20220622_074550.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220622_074555.jpg
    20220622_074555.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 13
Darn Timothy, I have recipes for pig feet, belly and even one for shredded pig ears, but, NOTHING for pig tails. The only thing, other than what you mention above, that I could find out was that they are good for cooking in homemade BBQ sauce. Sorry :cry:

Last edited:
Nah it's cool Joan. I passed, didn't buy them, but was curious what some would use them for.
I know oxtails, but pigtails?:)
I did the Google search. Asian style is popular along with Dutch Amish/ German.
A lot of southern or soul food hits.
If I see them again I'm buying.

@Joan , your list seems a bit limited -- no pigs feet? One of my father's favorite treats was pigs feet, and while it turned out later that my mother was no great shakes as a cook, she got the recipe from his French Canadian mother, and fixed them fo him on occasion. He appeared to enjoy them with relish (no, not pickles -- enthusiasm). As a boy (and truthfully, even in my dotage), I was never attracted by the looks, the smell or the method of sucking the bones, so I have never, never, never tried them. But clearly, Pigs Feet belongs in your collection.
😁

@Joan , your list seems a bit limited -- no pigs feet? One of my father's favorite treats was pigs feet, and while it turned out later that my mother was no great shakes as a cook, she got the recipe from his French Canadian mother, and fixed them fo him on occasion. He appeared to enjoy them with relish (no, not pickles -- enthusiasm). As a boy (and truthfully, even in my dotage), I was never attracted by the looks, the smell or the method of sucking the bones, so I have never, never, never tried them. But clearly, Pigs Feet belongs in your collection.
😁
Gramps liked pickled pigs feet. Most bars on the southside of Chicago had a jar and one of pickled eggs.

I have had roasted pigs tails they are delicious somewhat like spare ribs , they have to be hand picked lean pigs tails in order to make a proper meal .There are German communities outside the Toronto area that have roasted pigs tails on the menu in some of the restaurants . .

Last edited:
😁
Rich, they are. I corrected my post. It should have been feet all along. Thanks ;)

OK, another correction- My first post came from recipes I saw in Bruce Aidells's Complete Book of Pork that I have. I just now checked my pork binder and found quite a few recipes for pork LEGS. I also found a couple of recipes for "Quanciale" which is Italian cured meat product prepared from pork jowl or cheeks. Guancia is the Italian word for 'cheek'. Still nothing for 'tail'. lol (or pork wings) lol

Here is a recipe for grilled pigtails .

Rich, they are. I corrected my post. It should have been feet all along. Thanks ;)

OK, another correction- My first post came from recipes I saw in Bruce Aidells's Complete Book of Pork that I have. I just now checked my pork binder and found quite a few recipes for pork LEGS. I also found a couple of recipes for "Quanciale" which is Italian cured meat product prepared from pork jowl or cheeks. Guancia is the Italian word for 'cheek'. Still nothing for 'tail'. lol (or pork wings) lol

Last edited:
Anybody notice animal parts that traditionally were less desirable now often sell at premium prices in your local market? I'm talking bones for soup especially, but also lots of other things.

.......and one of pickled eggs.
Years ago most pubs here had a jar of pickled eggs. a jar of pickled onions and pork scratchings on the bar.
Anybody notice animal parts that traditionally were less desirable now often sell at premium prices in your local market? I'm talking bones for soup especially, but also lots of other things.
Tell me about it. Cheeks, liver, tongue, kidneys, heart, lung, bone marrow etc are now expensive. Back in the days of yore they were considered as cheap cuts. Now all these TV chefs have got their claws into them the price has gone bonkers. The same goes for those traditionally unpopular types of fish.
My Mum loved pigs trotters, (feet), and tripe. No-one else in the family liked them.

I've never seen pig-tails for sale.......ever. I'd deffo try them though.

Back