Pics of WSM Piedmont Double Water Pan Mod and Detailed How to Instructions.

It comes standard with one. You have to purchase an addition sending unit to have two. Nu-Temp can accommodate 3.

I've actually got three Brinkman charcoal pans. I wonder if I stacked all three and topped it with foil if I could avoid the screws and stuff?

Originally posted by Mike B.:
I've actually got three Brinkman charcoal pans. I wonder if I stacked all three and topped it with foil if I could avoid the screws and stuff?

I doubt it because you need airspace between then. Thats the purpose of the screws with spacers. You might beable to reduce the space between them since there are 3.

Mike, I think using 2 pans would be better than three. I don't remember what the gap is exactly but it is roughly 3/4 of an inch from the hooks that hold the water pan to the grilling rack. If you want to keep your pans under the grate rack catches you won't be able to have the whole stack over 3/4". That leaves roughly 1/2" of an airspace. If you stick another pan "conductor" between the top and bottom. I think it would go against what you are looking for. If you don't care about the bottom rack you could stack all 3 and leave more airspace between the pans.

On the subject of the nu-temp, I have one and I love it. I got mine last time it was on the site with the special pricing. I bought 2 more remotes to fill out the capacity. Seems like I recall saving $60 by buying this way. Nu-Temp Promotion #2 thread There is special pricing on the remotes this time also.

Hello,

My first post here.

Been using a Brinkman for several years.
Just received a WSM and was reviewing the tips and modifications on this board.

I've added horizontal handles (Weber) and am working on adding handles (wire) to second grate for easier removal. I have access to metal fab shop and thought of offering these items for those interested.

This double pan thing has me intrigued. However, the pics are MIA.
Is there another link to them?

If no pics exist, I want to make sure I'm clear on the setup.
2 bowls with 1/2" air space between them.
Top bowl has 3/4" AL balls resting inside covered by sheet of foil.
Bottom bowl has outer surface (bottom) covered with foil to protect bowl from blistering.

Is this correct?

TIA,
Kenneth

I had one of the easiest cooks I've ever had last week when I foiled my original WSM pan and just set it into the Brinkmann pan. It leaves about an inch or two of space and the WSM got up to the temp I wanted and didn't move for the entire 3 hour cook.

Try it, you'll like it.

Jim,

Got it.
Thanks.

Ordered my 2 charcoal bowls from Bass Pro.
Gonna be nice not messing with water.

I've read here that the water only controls temp and does not add moisture to meat.
Still mystified as to why the water (humidity) doesn't effect moistness of meat.

Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Kenneth

I put a clay saucer from Walmart in the WSM pan and foiled the whole thing - works like a charm - check out the Clay Saucer Mod

Originally posted by M. Chesney:
Benjamin and others,

In regards to the Nu-Temp NU-701 remote thermometer it is still being offered for TVWBB members at $40 plus S&H. The normal price is $69 if you went directly to their site.

Here is the link for the offer:

Nu-Temp NU-701

I have had mine for a while and can't find a single flaw. Great for those winter smokes to avoid the temptation of heading out in the cold to read the candy thermometer.

Mike
wsmsmile8gm.gif

say, that's great... it bothers me that there's the alarm feature for 1 probe on the high temp, or the low temp... but not both at the same time... i guess the ultimate way to do this is being that the kit has two probes, u set 1 for high alarm, the other probe for the low. this way, for overnight cookoffs you can track the temp of the WSM chamber. and maybe buy a 3rd prob to plug into the actual meat.

That Nu-Temp offer is over a year old, not sure it's valid anymore. You would have to give them a call to find out.

Regards,
Chris

Back