pics from today's pulled pork cook

jason.yee

TVWBB Fan
so a few of my friends have been asking to try my pulled pork since i got my smoker a few months ago and i finally got around to it today. i bought 17 lbs of butt last week at 88cents per pound on sale (8 + 9#). today i cooked the 9#. here are the pics.

12:30pm - bare pork butt. 9 lbs.
mg9087.jpg

12:35pm - my butt is rubbed (lol)
mg9088.jpg

12:56pm - five chunks of smoke wood on standby (2 sugar maple, 3 cherry)
mg9089.jpg

1:00pm - charcoal is almost ready in the chimney
mg9090.jpg

1:07pm - charcoal is ready in the smoker with smoke wood
mg9091.jpg

1:16pm - meat is placed in smoker with thermometer probe
mg9093.jpg

3:31pm - meat temp 94°F
mg9096.jpg

3:38pm - pit temp 250°F
mg9098.jpg

7:10pm - meat check (this was the only time i peeked)
mg9099.jpg

7:13pm - meat temp 165°F
mg9101.jpg

10:08pm - meat temp 180°F
mg9103p.jpg

11:06pm - meat temp 195°F. its finally done!
mg9104.jpg

11:07pm - how it looked right out of the smoker. nice bark.
mg9105.jpg

11:13pm - meat is foiled and resting a bit
mg9107.jpg

bone comes out clean as always
mg9108i.jpg

12:30am - pulling
mg9109.jpg

12:42am - adding some finishing sauce
mg9115.jpg

1:13am - bagged and tagged
mg9120.jpg

btw, it tasted amazing.
icon_smile.gif

That looks like a really good Pulled pork.

But one bag is missing cant se "Daniel Wolgast" anywere.

great pics.

Bless//Me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamie Berry:
I wish my grates looked that clean. What's your secret. Is it a new smoker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the smoker is a few months old and plenty dirty/greasy. i clean my grates after every cook. i scrape off the big chunks of crap (when the grate is still hot in the cooker) with some aluminum foil first. then i put it in my big laundry tub and fill it with hot water with LOTS of palmolive and let it soak for a couple hours and then i scrub with the abrasive side of a scotch brite pad. then rinse and dry.

A nine pounder done in a little less than 10 hours! That's exactly what I'm planning to try next time and if the texture ends up just as good as with the 15 hour butts, I'll be cooking that way from now on.

Great looking results Jason. Can I ask where you found the butt, I'm planning a BBQ next weekend and locally, there's nuttin.
Thanks brother

Great looking PP.

I noticed your chimney sitting on a concrete pad. From what I've read on this site, you may want to change that practice. The concrete can explode.

It is mentioned in the "how to use a chimney" link in the "operating Tips & Mods" section:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chimney.html

There are pictures for the non-believers.

Bob W.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MacPete:
Great looking results Jason. Can I ask where you found the butt, I'm planning a BBQ next weekend and locally, there's nuttin.
Thanks brother </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i buy all my meats from the butcher counter in chinese supermarkets around the markham area. they average about $1.59/lb at regular price but sometimes you find them for $0.77 or $0.88/lb when they go on sale. just ask them for uncut/whole butts.

Beautiful pork. Gives me a hankerin' to get one on my smoker. And the tags were a real chuckle. Nice cook!

Back