Pickle Juice

Ben A Hillis

TVWBB Member
Has anyone ever used pickle juice in the water pan when they have smoked pork? I know the water pan is just used to control heat, but I just wanted to check with everyone and see if this is a good idea or not.

I'm curious, because I saw a BBQ show on TV where the guys were throwing pickle water on the smoke wood in their giant smokers. I just didn't know if this would work on a WSM.

Depends on what you mean by 'work'. If you're trying to impart some flavor onto the meat then no, it wouldn't. It will act like water does as a heat sink and absorb heat. Steaming flavored water doesn't transfer flavors onto meat. This ties in with the ever-so-popular beer can chicken: a novelty item which is a waste of beer IMO.

Paul

It might not work as a flavoring agent, but it might be good to have on hand if you're at a BBQ comp in the summer.

Supposedly pickle juice acts like gatorade and has been given to college athletes for years when it's hot out to prevent cramping.

Eric

If you have any serious thoughts of trying it I would say to just go ahead and see what happens. Like others have mentioned it will probably have no affect. Then again it could become your secret weapon. I have added herbs to the water in the pan of my WSM and my wife thinks it addes to the flavor. But then she is the one that grows the herbs ans suggested it.

Mike

Back