Picked up an 18.5" WSM off Craigslist today for $30

Jennifer

TVWBB Member
..and it turned out to be a C code :)

2m6v82d.jpg

Anyone have plans or google sketchup document for the original weber wooden handle? I have a piece of wood here I can turn into one.

Anyone have plans or google sketchup document for the original weber wooden handle? I have a piece of wood here I can turn into one.

Yes. Brian (Zavod) at the WKC makes a perfect Weber Original handle. A lot of guys have even sent him wood and he's produced killer handles from it.

http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-handles/

If you did a search for "Brian Handle" you'd have reading material & photos for days. :D

PS --- 30 bucks is an incredible score! Congrats...

How much money is the C model worth, since it was the first year made? Maybe it doesn't matter.. don't know if these are collector's items.

I got the lid cleaned & polished up. I'll clean the rest, including the door tomorrow. I might do the legs another day. I intend on doing a pork butt in this lil' beauty tomorrow. I'll share pics of it cleaned up and smoking pork butt.

2els2kp.jpg

I noticed the porcelain coating is more orange peel like--as evidenced by the photo above--than the 2014 one I have. Seems like they didn't do as pretty of a job back then as they do now. But it's all good, she's gonna cook like a charm!

So I took the water pan out and cleaned it up. I noticed it is MUCH more shallow than the newer deeper water pans. I really like this since i don't fill it with water anyways, but cover it with foil like Harry Soo does. I like how it gives you more room for more coals and wood in the basket, and allows for more easier fire management should one need to tend to the fire through the door during the middle of the cook.

Here she is cleaned up:

34rwpd1.jpg

And here is the shallow water pan:

27xf4lj.jpg

I had read that the original WSM's water pan was designed by simply using an inverted Smokey Joe lid. I sat my Smokey Joe lid on top of it to very, and yep they appear to be the same!

34qpimf.jpg

So if one wants a more shallow bowl, to cover with foil only, a smokey joe lid would work (like one for $5 from a garage sale or something.. just cut the handle off, drill out the vent damper and foil over the holes. But I am sure there are other options that make more sense than this.

Cleaned up the door with barkeeper's friend--about 3 minutes worth of work:
20a9zxf.jpg

Enough cleaning for now.. gonna get this thing cookin'

Very nice job, Jennifer. If I was anywhere near Tulsa I would make you an offer to triple your return on investment for your efforts. ;) Hope it gives you many years of enjoyment!

Thanks guys. Hey one thing I noticed is that the cooking grates on this C model are larger in diameter than the new ones, by about an 1/2 inch or so I'd say. I tried to put the cooking grate from the new one in, because I didn't feel like cleaning the old C model one yet, and it fell right through, lol! Anyways, so I cleaned up the old top grate and it looks to be in good condition. It seems to be built very well and perhaps is stainless steel?

Anyways here is a photo of her running--I hadn't yet put wood chunks in it so that's why there is no smoke. Got her burning really hot then dropped the temp down and started on three fatties. (As to help seal her up.)

24zbotz.jpg

Borrowed the handle from one of my Smokey Joe's I wasn't using, until I get a replacement.

Last edited:

Back