Performer vs. One Touch Gold

I really like the work table and the gas assist lighting is handy.

Ditto, especially the gas assist. Plus I find low n slow smoking on the Performer a piece of cake. Get the coals hot, top vent wide open, bottom vent closed 100% - I can get 12 hrs easy with no reload; and a steady 225-250 degrees.

The hole around the gas line opening on the kettle provides the perfect amount of air to keep the fire going without temps spiking or going out of control on you.

To me this questions is like asking someone to compare a base model Chevy to a comparable Cadillac. The drive train is the same, but you are paying extra for the bells and whistles because the actual ability of the car to get you where you need to go is a wash. With the Performer, you pay a lot more but you get a lot more. The touch-n-go ignition, the built on cart and table, enhanced lid holder are what you are getting for the additional money. They are all great and are what make the Performer a pleasure to use. Only you can do the cost-benefit analysis to determine if it is worth it or not to you. In my case as much as I grill and take advantage of those extra features, the Performer is my clear choice. That does not mean it is everybody’s best choice for a Weber grill.

Lance - Agree with all that is said above and would add that the height of the kettle on the performer is what sold me. It is so much easier to tend to your grill if you are taller than 6 feet as compared to the OTG. Go to your local hardware store to compare them side to side.

I've had an OTG now for 7 or 8 years. It's been outside for all of that time with zero maintenance. Well, every couple of years I scrape the big pieces off the inside of the lid and buy a new grate, but that's it. Pretty incredible if you ask me. But I'm sure the Performer is just as durable.

Overall the OTG works extremely well, especially as a screeching hot modified two zone searing station. I have a gas grill and a WSM but the OTG gets by far the most use.

I did a few mods to it. I drilled a hole for a screw-in temp gauge near the handle, also a hole (lamp mod method) just above the grate to get the et-732 temp probe in. I bought an accessory Weber work table as well, so except for the gas assist it's functionally close to the performer. I figure I have about $200 in it as it sits.

Would I have preferred a performer? Yes, I think so. But this was a Christmas present from the wife.

Hey, at least she picked a Weber...

Ditto, especially the gas assist. Plus I find low n slow smoking on the Performer a piece of cake. Get the coals hot, top vent wide open, bottom vent closed 100% - I can get 12 hrs easy with no reload; and a steady 225-250 degrees.

The hole around the gas line opening on the kettle provides the perfect amount of air to keep the fire going without temps spiking or going out of control on you.

I have never tried to do it that way, But I will. Thanks for the info.

I choose an OTG.
The Performer is relatively big and I don't have a lot of room. I have a couple of small tables that I move around to where I need them. The gas ignition is a non feature to me. I use a high output propane torch to light all my charcoal cookers.

For the price and features, you can't beat an OTG with a stick.

Bob

Last edited:
I won't buy the performer with the current lid rack. The otg uses a hook which is much better imo.

I have both and I like the Performer better, more stable than the 3 wobbly legs, taller, and I like the lid holder

I also have both and prefer the Performer for all the reasons stated. You obviously pay extra for these things but given I’m in my ninth year with the Performer, to me it’s worth it. When I got the OTG, I immediately installed a thermometer in it along with the insulator for the top vent. You just get spoiled by the little things. Good Luck & let us know how you make out.

That's a nice find, congrats!

I do want a performer, but I think I'm going to spring for one that's new. Used pickings around here aren't as good for the high end Webers, although I did just get a nice WSM used. The one performer I did see needed a new burner, wheels and grates, plus the frame was rusting, and the seller wanted more than 150 and wouldn't budge.

Thing is, with my OTG being in great shape, buying a new performer is totally frivolous, and I just can't rationalize it. So, I'll wait until what I have is ready for replacement, or just buy a weed burner if I really feel like having gas ignition.

I won't buy the performer with the current lid rack. The otg uses a hook which is much better imo.

I totally agree. I just bought an OTG today. I thought about the Performer but I don't like the lid rack that makes the lid cover like 1/8th of the left side of the grill. When I looked at the Performer at Lowes I almost felt Closter phobic. I felt like I couldn't even see the potential items being cooked on the left. I want to be able to see and work with the whole grill not just the middle to right side. The shelf on the Performer is nice but not at the expense of the lack of work space due to the lid structure.

I have a OTG this more precious than real Gold to me! I admire the Performer and may buy one when I return to the USA, but I am not much interested in the propane charcoal starter. I like the Smokenator for smoking and I don't need a built-in propane starter for that. The work table and the height are very intriguing. The shorter metal table is my preference. I also like the lid rest on the performers.

I don't think the OTG is all that far behind the Peformer, which is just pimped out a bit more. The Chevy to Caddy comparison is more a basic Silver model Weber kettle, without the ash catcher, to Performer comparison, imho.

I have both. The OTG is mainly used when I need a little more cooking area for mainly wings and whatever when I don't feel like breaking out the WSM. The Performer is my go to unit for most cooks. In almost 10 years I have only had to replace the ignitor once and of course fill the tank. I use it more than the stove in the kitchen! I don't say this lightly,The Performer has changed me and my Wife's cooking and eating habits since I have had one.

Last edited:
Just got a performer last week from CL for 180 and only have had 2 cooks on it, and I love it. I really like to have the work space of the table. I agree with the lid holder being a pain, so I might have to make a mod on that to have a hook like the OTG.

Back