Performer Kettle Dented Lid

MattSchiefelbein

Hey all. Snagged me a Performer Deluxe off the Craigslist for free last night. Only real issue besides needing cleaned up is a dent on the lid from what I'm assuming is a tree branch falling on it. Would it hurt to try to push it out or will that damage the enamel? The best answer I got when I emailed Weber was 'maybe' and 'here's how to buy a new lid.' Curious to see thoughts of anyone who has experience doing it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20231010_102439.jpg
    IMG_20231010_102439.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20231010_102436.jpg
    IMG_20231010_102436.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 17
I would leave it, being worried about the porcelain coming off faster than it will during use. How is the inside? I'd be concerned about bits of porcelain coming off and getting on your food. If there is any loose or cracked porcelain inside I assume you can scrape it off and keep an eye on it for more later. Heat cycles might loosen more and you don't want porcelain in your food. And, heat cycles might eventually crack up the outside as well - the area is now stressed. But that's not as big a deal as the inside.

Congrats on getting a performer… great grill. Good thing is that the dent alone won’t affect cooking. I’d gently try to push out but you risk cracking. l’ve used wood to slowly push out much smaller dents. You can touch up any chips with high temp paint on black side. I’ve used Testors modeling metallic enamel paint to try to match copper side.

If that doesn’t give the results your looking for then keep your eye out on FBMP for a cheap donor copper kettle or even just the lid. I sold a copper lid in like new condition (no taco handle or thermometer) a couple years ago for about $25. The vent on that lid didn’t close tightly enough for my use but it was acceptable for the buyer.

I whack those with a well-placed hit from a rubber mallet.
It is virtually impossible to make it look new, but it will look
much better. I have never had any damage to the porcelain
finish in doing so unless the finish was already damaged.

Hey all. Snagged me a Performer Deluxe off the Craigslist for free last night. Only real issue besides needing cleaned up is a dent on the lid from what I'm assuming is a tree branch falling on it. Would it hurt to try to push it out or will that damage the enamel? The best answer I got when I emailed Weber was 'maybe' and 'here's how to buy a new lid.' Curious to see thoughts of anyone who has experience doing it?

Thanks!
When we moved the movers dropped my 2015 Performer kettle lid and it dented, Weber sent a brand new one I didn't have to pay a dime, this was last year.

Not sure if you can call again and get them to send you a new lid, they may want you to send a picture of the damaged lid.

When we moved the movers dropped my 2015 Performer kettle lid and it dented, Weber sent a brand new one I didn't have to pay a dime, this was last year.

Not sure if you can call again and get them to send you a new lid, they may want you to send a picture of the damaged lid.

First thing you want to do is register that grill then talk with customer service about the accident. If they do not want to help, then get freindly with a body shop.
I have used a 5 or 10 LB of rice lay the dent on the rice and use a dead blow hammer and some body tools a freind had and we took out 95% of his dent, and never harmed the paint job.

Thanks for all the feedback! I decided to caveman it and give it a shot. Well, the prior wisdom was right. It cracked the porcelain and some flaked off. So, my personal experience says don't do it! But, I was fortunate to get another lid so I'm good to go! Thanks for the help everyone!

Back