Performer Ingition Starter Parts - Total Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Dang

TVWBB Super Fan
I finally found a performer in San Diego (it's been a long while). It's a green stainless steel (I like the look of the newer ones but this will do for now).

http://sandiego.craigslist.org.../grd/1349967476.html

I haven't looked at it, but it says the ignition starter does not work. I'm wondering, what the exposure would be cost wise say I had to replace the whole thing, or most of it?

I still use a chimney, but want a fully functioning ignition to start the chimney, and also small amounts of charcoal.

Oh, also, I won't pay $100, what would, in your opinion, be a fair price? $60? 80?

Joe...jump on that! The stainless steels ones are highly sought after, plus they have the refillable 5lb propane. I love the older ones much more than the new. The ignition to replace is $10. Buy it...you will NOT be disappointed. The gas will still work you can just light it w/ a lighter. The ignition is $10.

Looks to be worth every bit of that $100. I prefer the new ones too, but would not pass on an old one that is in good shape. Better jump on it before someone else does.

I bet the ignitor works fine, just needs to be cleaned! I bought mine used and the owner thought the ignitor was broken too. I did some searching on this site and found it was common for the tubes and ignitor contacts to get gunked up with grease from the cooks, or insect nests etc. I took the ignitor off and cleaned the contacts, cleaned the tube, works like a charm now. If you do need to replace the ignitor it is available from weber cheap, I think I was quoted $14 for my new model.

Done and done, going to see if they'll take $75
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks guys, you are quick!

Maybe he thinks it doesn't work because the hose is sitting there dangling
icon_eek.gif

This is a good grill. I bought a green SS one a few years ago and it has become my favorite grill.

It does look the big wheels are on the wrong end. They should be on the opposite ends of the handles.

Joe, whatever you decide that you are willing to pay, you should consider this: the 5-lb propane tank alone would be very difficult to find for less than $50.

For the same reason, you should make sure that the tank is equipped with an OPD - you don't want something obsolete that no one will fill, because replacing it will cost ya.

its $10 for the igniter,$20 for the tube and igniter. i almost went that route. the tube was really nasty and the nut on the bottom of the igniter was rusted.
it can add up quickly. mine was over $100 for parts but the end product is worth it

I spent over $200 to restore my red S/S and dont regret at all. I had to buy a new propane tank w/ the OPD valve for $50 as no one would fill the older style tank. I just think the S/S is cool..But...I seem to like the older stuff anyways. If you like it...buy it.

"OPD" stands for overfill protection device. They are now required on all 4 to 40 lb propane cylinders in service. A tank that is equipped with an OPD valve will be easily recognizable by the triangular handwheel above the valve used for opening and closing the tank.

Reputable propane suppliers will not fill a tank that is not equipped with an OPD valve. Look for that triangular handwheel on the top.

woohoo, it's an OPD. Triangle with the words OPD right on it.

It was dark, so no pics yet, and I belive the whole ignition system might have to be replaced, not sure yet. Going to check it out in the AM, but no tank saves me some dinero. Nice and clean on the outside. Inside is dirty but when is it not?

Got it for $80 and the green isn't so bad in person! Thanks everyone.

Good deal...sounds like you did good...real good. Cleaning it up is a labor of love...im hoping to find an older one so I can dismantle the whole thing and put back together
icon_smile.gif
Now post some pics of that bad boy!!!

take the keeper key off the regulator hose at the end of the tube look in the tube as you push the button to check for spark. there was so much junk in the tube on mine the gas was shielded from the spark. i took a skewer and cleaned the tube out and it works great now. worth a look and might save you $10

I don't even think all the parts are there. I have to compare it to the manual to see whats on it, and what's missing. The tank is there. The hose from the bowl out is there, and some weird thing at the end, but having never examined one I can't tell.

I did find one chip on the bottom (booo!) but i guess a little scoring and some paint should take care of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back