Performer Igniter replacement question?

Khanh Hoang

TVWBB Fan
Well, I just replace my igniter with the Weber replacement kit and could not get it to ignite.. Is there a trick to this? The original piece was caked in soot and ash... any suggestions would be appreciative?

Khanh I would contact Weber Customer Service. I replaced mine earlier this year and there is no "trick". It should light right up.

Good Luck!

You didn't mention what its doing, or not doing.
I had a sticky ignitor button on mine. It was just screwed on too tight. After loosening it a bit the button popped as it should.

Well I know the gas work as I can smell and can put a flame at the port and it works, just trying to get the igniter to work. I called Weber and the lady said to bend the white wire 45 degrees.. which does not make sense to me.. igniter button pops, I think the internal wall where the actual igniter makes close contact to get a spark with, might be dirty or caked with ash and grease , so no bare metal is expose ...

Did you try removing the gas inlet tube and crouching down and peering right into the end of the venturi tube and clicking the igniter? You should see a nice spark.

FYI, mine makes a nice beautiful spark across the inside of the tube, but for some reason it just will not ignite the gas. It lights right up with a match though. Weber customer service was no help. I hope you don't have the same problem I do.

I have 4 Performers (3 from '98 and 1 from '11) and all of them needed a burner tube cleaning when I got them. Once I cleaned out the burner tubes, took sandpaper to the electronic connections, and reassembled --- they all work great with the original ignitors. There's basically no way to cake the inside of the tube with grease and ash, so I wouldn't bank of that theory. When you light it with a match, what does the flame look like? (how much orange? how much blue?)

Greg Y has a freak of nature. That's basically like throwing a lit match on gasoline and having the gasoline extinguish the flame.

I have 4 Performers (3 from '98 and 1 from '11) and all of them needed a burner tube cleaning when I got them. Once I cleaned out the burner tubes, took sandpaper to the electronic connections, and reassembled --- they all work great with the original ignitors. There's basically no way to cake the inside of the tube with grease and ash, so I wouldn't bank of that theory. When you light it with a match, what does the flame look like? (how much orange? how much blue?)

Greg Y has a freak of nature. That's basically like throwing a lit match on gasoline and having the gasoline extinguish the flame.

Thanks to you GENTS! It's fixed! I open it up and basically it was a mix of spider webs and rotted leaves.. I blew it out with my compressor , then scrubbed the inside of the tube with an old gun brass brush and was able to see the spark of the igniter, just to be safe I put a new propane tank in and KaZaaam! The thing came to life..!!!

Last edited:
Make sure that the actual openings where the gas comes out are totally cleared. The people I bought mine from never did even connect the gas assist and the outlet was all crudded up by the time I bought it.

Back