Penzey's

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
I keep seeing Penzey's seasonings in posts. I see there is a store in Dallas. There are so many to choose from. Which ones would you recommend?

They have a couple of grilling samplers with either -4- or -8- bottles.

Their 4/S seasoning salt is real good. They have a nice offering of salt free mixtures as well.

Get a catalog that has all their offerings listed with descriptions in alphabetical order.

What Scott said, plus their website gives an ingredient list of the mixes.

For those folks not near a store, they have free shipping on orders $30 or more through Sept. 5, 2012.

Make a list of stuff that you KNOW you will use.

Then, set-aside about an hour and GO THERE.

While stocking-up on items from your list, check-out some of the other herbs and spices that they have. They put samples in big, glass apothecary jars - so you can open it and take a big whiff. If you find something you like, get a small jar and look for a recipe that used it.

If you or your SO likes to cook or bake, take them along with ya'. You'll be glad you did this, trust me
icon_wink.gif

It's a great way to branch-out and expand your cooking repertoir.

Brian,

Penzey's is my go to site for spices. You can buy in quantity for less than any local grocery store. I bulk buy my spices for butt mixes, rib mixes, and a few other spices for occasional use. The closest store to me is 2 hours away, so I stop when I can, but I shop on line most of the time. Like with the wsm, experimenting seems to be the way to learn. Good luck!

Got a bud on another forum that likes to go to his local Penzey store because he likes the way his shirt smells when he leaves there!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Oh...and Sunny Paris is insanely good on taters and fried eggs!!! Salt Free to boot!!

I LOVE Penzey's. Don't have any stores around here, so I order online.

I like their bay leaves, and I think their Sweet Hungarian paprika is far and away the best paprika I've ever had. The paprika at the supermarket is either bland or tastes like dirt. Since a lot of pork rubs use generous amounts of paprika, get it from Penzey's.

Their Northwoods mix is good on chicken and fish. I also like their Northwoods Fire on chicken. Their Old World mix is a great all around mix (can sub for Lawry's), and is perfect on fried eggs.

I just picked up a few based on recommendations from this board. (I had started another thread a few months ago too)...

4a69a557-6ad1-9a2b.jpg

My friend's kitchen cabinet in NYC... after I mentioned Penzeys to him he showed this:

7596948454_a355090c99_b.jpg

We know where your friend does most of his shopping!!

Someone asked in the turkey thread about a good turkey rub and Penzeys Bicentennial rub is highly recommended for Turkey and Duck......

I'm fortunate to have a Penzey's a couple of miles from my home, and I buy all kinds of stuff there-- I find their herbs and spices to be cheaper than the supermarket, and a whole lot tastier.

I took notice of a great feature on the main site here where Chris Allingham and a bunch of friends spent a whole day cooking spareribs on multiple smokers.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/friends.html
When all that smoke cleared, their favorite rub was Penzey's 'Barbeque of the Americas'. So I used it to smoke ribs and brisket, as well as to roast chickens, all to rave reviews. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I use a pre-made rub, but you can't argue with the results! (It's one of their rare mixes that contains salt, though, so make sure you don't forget and salt your meat.)

Steve, I knew someone would ask that.
It is the Spice Stack I got the white one directly from them. The red one came from QVC online. Only QVC has them in colors. White, Red, Black and Butter.

penz8.jpg

penz7.jpg

Dang it, I had some steak seasoning from them that I going to use on my next steak and forgot about it on tonight tritip

Back