Pastrami Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Schwartz

TVWBB Fan
I've followed the Pastrami recipe posted by Chris in the cooking section. I've cured the flat using the dry cure for 3 days. I've now rinsed off the cure prior to soaking the flat. Chris mentions that the flat should now appear red in color. Mine does not appear to be red. Does that mean it has not cured properly? It sure smells like pastrami. I'm thinking that I'm going to get some type of a cross between a smoked flat and pastrami.
icon_confused.gif

Think dark burgundy red as opposed to the brown that raw meat kept in a refrigerator three days would probably be. If it's not fully cured, you'll see a brown stripe in the center when you eventually slice it. If the stripe is only about 1/4 inch thick, it will still be fine. If you started the cure Tuesday night, you should be good.

Hey now Dave
In Boston they do two kinds of pastrami:
1) cured with nit{a,i}tes
2) the other has no preservativesm, they call this "grey" it's really good!

don't worry, have a beer

Pastrami Update... Took it off the WSM and cut into it and belive it or not ... it was red
icon_biggrin.gif

Tasted great. There was a small gray mark running through the flat where apparently it did not cure. I had injected the wet cure and used the dry method also but maybe I didn't inject enough. The 6lb brisket reached 165 in about 2 hours causing it to be a little tough, probably due to a temperature problem ... According to the recipe, I was supposed to add a lit chimney and then an unlit chimney on top of that. I don't think I would do that again as the temp went up to 350 even with the vents closed for the entire cook. I couldn't bring it down below 290. Next time, I think I'll just use the minion meathod. All in all, the family liked it and I would certainly try it again.
icon_smile.gif

Pastrami is a relatively short WSM cook, and the MM is not necessary-- you just need to be a little more aggressive about closing bottom vents if the temp is too high. It's very important to realize that pastrami is not smoked brisket, and you're not looking for that kind of tenderness-- the cure provides most of the tenderizing. If you followed the website recipe, there is no call to inject any cure. Also very important is to slice it thin, and-- as with brisket-- across the grain.

Dave/Al

You are correct, of course. I forgot
... was hoping Dave didn't despair too much about colour.

I make corned beef in the "gray" way, no preservatives then smoke it and get pastrami

My cure is significantly longer than 3 days, I'm tempted to try the 3 day method for comparison.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
Pastrami is a relatively short WSM cook, and the MM is not necessary-- you just need to be a little more aggressive about closing bottom vents if the temp is too high. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Doug, I did close the bottom vents immediately but the temp would not go down. Using 1 chimney of lit and 1 chimney of unlit on top of that isn't that basically the same amount of charcoal as the minion method? Also, the recipe does indicate that you can use the wet cure along with the dry cure but still having the grey area in the meat, do I let it cure longer next time?? Thanks for your help.

Morgan,
Are you referring to making a pastrami by just using the spices without the cure??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back