Parmesan Burgers with Balsamic Ketchup

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
While checking out this book, I found this recipe, with 2 goodies in it. #1 for DH (cheese of course) and #2 for me, BALSAMIC VINEGAR!!!!!!! :love:

Parmesan Burgers with Balsamic Ketchup

PATTIES
1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck
2 TB. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary leaves
3 small garlic cloves, minced

Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

KETCHUP
1/4 cup ketchup
2 TB. balsamic vinegar
1 TB. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp. mayonnaise

1 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, at room temperature,
shaved into pieces with a vegetable peeler, divided
4 slices rustic Italian bread, each about 1/3" thick
Extra-virgin olive oil

1. Mix the patty ingredients, including 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper, and then gently form four patties of equal size, each about 1" thick.
With your thumb or the back of a spoon, make a shallow indentation about 1" wide in the center of the patties to prevent them from forming
a dome as they cook. Refrigerate the patties until ready to grill.
2. Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium-high heat ( 400 to 500 F).
3. Whisk the ketchup ingredients.
4. Lightly season the patties on both sides with salt and pepper, and then grill over direct medium-high heat, with the lid closed, until cooked to
medium doneness (160F), 9 to 11 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill, immediately top the patties with half of the cheese, and let rest for 2 to 3
minutes.
5. Brush the bread on both sides with oil. and then grill over indirect medium-high heat for 30 seconds. Turn the bread over and top with the remaining
cheese. Cook until the cheese softens, 1 to 2 minute. Serve each cheese-topped patty atop a cheese-topped piece of bread with the balsamic ketchup
on the side.

Source: Weber's Big Book of Burgers-2014

Last edited:
DH said "very good, but a lot of other ones to try" and I thought they were just ok. Wish we had the Italian bread, used French hamburger rolls. I did like the ketchup, but missed the onion and lettuce.

If you haven't tried potato hamburger rolls, you're missing out. I only use those or French/Italian bread at times. The potato rolls taste great, grill well, won't fall apart and are available for hotdogs also. Seriously, you owe yourself.

Thanks Rich, I'm sure in my many, many years of eating, that I have had them, but don't remember what they tasted like. :unsure:

Back