OVERWHELMED ideas & help PLEASE

estewart

Good evening
I received a Stoker for Christmas from my loving wife. She did not order fan & probes. Long story short we should have everything in a few weeks. I have been trying to get my ducks in a row to be able to get the Stoker up and Running Quickly. I haft to admit I’m more the a little worried I am computer illiterate
icon_confused.gif
I know the answers are here in the form but when I try to piece it all together I get confused. Here is a list of goals (the main reasons for buying the Stoker)
1. being able to control the Stroker with Iphone
2. being able to hit the internet at the Different Places we cook if needed
3. Do we need Stoker log
4 There were some neat pictures and ideas in Stoker bad Weather thread Protective boxes, fan covers any more that I need to know about in SC we are having unusually cold weather & lots of rain
The stoker will be running a Stumps Stretch it has a ball valve for the fan mount
Any help will be greatly appreciated THANKS
icon_smile.gif

Eric

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1. being able to control the Stroker with Iphone
2. being able to hit the internet at the Different Places we cook if needed
3. Do we need Stoker log
4 There were some neat pictures and ideas in Stoker bad Weather thread Protective boxes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1)I don't know about the Iphone but if it has WifI you can connect the stoker up to a Wifi bridge and setup the bridge to work with your wireless LAN. From there just set the Iphone to use that WiFi LAN.

If the iPhone uses the internet to get to the stoker then you will need to configure IP and possibly port forwarding on your router to expose the IP address and port 80 of the Stoker to the internet.

2)I have no idea what you are asking here. Could you clarify?

3)You don't NEED StokerLog but it has many features you will want. Being able to see what your temp was 4 hours ago until now is a good thing. So is the ramp, lid detection, Twitter logging, email alerts and many other functions.

4)I use a ziplock bag and tent the blower with foil. You could get a Glad/Tupperware container and drill a few holes in it if you want.

I just posted a series of YouTube videos about various setups. The final video is still processing but here they are:

HowTo Calibrate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwyMJFGZPUM

Setting up as a Stand Alone Unit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieDIHMIVK-k

Wiring it directly to a PC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFrmLbYzIic

Installing StokerLog:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXTHIP1fevs

Setting up on your wireless network:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcxcfi_hEfE

Setting up wireless access up at a competition without internet access:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPe-biKc8No

Rob GREAT! job.I have used my Stokers for a few years and still I learned something. Can't wait for more videos. Which your videos are well done.These need to be on Rock's BBQ site too.

Steve,

I'll try to do a video about accessing the Stoker over the internet. It might require 2 videos as Youtube has a 10 minute limit on videos.

-rob

Robm
Thanks for the videos
#2 i cook diffrent places that have internet wifi
could i get working on set up even tho i dont have my probes & fan
thanks eric

You shouldn't have to port forward as long as the stoker and iphone were both on the same internal network (ie: 192.168.x.x)
You only have to port forward when allowing access into a private network from a public network.

You can setup all the network stuff with just the stoker box ~ you don't need probes/blowers.

Brad is right. As long as the iPhone and Stoker are on the same network you don't need to worry about port forwarding.

However, If you want to access it over the internet you must use IP forwarding. Additionally, if your ISP blocks port 80 (and many do) you need not only IP forwarding but Port Mapping as well.

For instance, a request comes in from the internet to the WAN side of your router for port 80 (WWW) and it's blocked before it even hits your router. Incoming requests to other ports (say 8080) are not blocked. You need to configure your router such that requests for 8080 coming into the IP address of your router's WAN IP is mapped to the IP address of your Stoker on port 80. From the internet you would then address your stoker like so:

http://IP_ADDRESS_OF_YOUR_ROUTERS_WAN:8080

IP forwarding is pretty standard on most routers. Port remapping - not so much. I flashed my Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT which allows me to do this. I hear Tomato also works good. Be careful though as you could end up bricking your router. DD-WRT is here:
DD-WRT Router Firmware

ROB I have watched all your videos on youtube GREAT INFO. I just got mine last week and ordered a second linksys wrt54g router. My plan is to set up the router and stoker in my garage with entension lines to my smoker. This router will be hard wired to my other router with the same wireless settings. Thus extending my wireless network. When I go to comps can I just unplug my network cable from the router and take the setup along, knowing I won't have internet. Seem feasable????

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the need to have a router in your garage if you are just connecting it to another router. If you have CAT5 running to your first (wireless) router then just connect the stoker up to that router with your CAT5.

Having 2 routers with the same wireless net Id's is bound to have issues. You'd have to set the "stoker router" up as a bridge to your main router.

-rob

So don't even hook the second one up until I go to comps?? Just take it with me? I was hoping to extend my wireless network at the same time.

Well, that's what I do. I guess you could extend your wireless with the router if it acts like a repeater although I've never done this. You'd have to reconfigure the router each time you use it in a different location though.

I use DD-WRT firmware which allows me to adjust the output wattage of my WRT54G. I can "see" my network 3 houses down from my place. No repercussion other than planes crashing into the lake when they go over my house ;-}

-rob

I just ordered a stoker a few days ago. Robs video was great. I have a wrt54gs router and a wap54g wireless access point and was wondering could I use the access point instead of the router to connect to the stoker?

There is a way to do this. Pat and I figured it out on another thread. You need to set the WAP (game adapter) up in AD-HOC mode with a unique SSID (network ID).

Then in XP you need to go into the settings of your wireless adapter and set a static IP address on your wireless card to say 192.168.2.1.

Set your Stoker up for A static IP address of 192.168.2.2 and plug it into the WAP.

The WAP doesn't have a a DHCP server like a router does so when your PC tries to request an IP address from that AD-HOC SSID it will timeout (takes about a minute) and default back to the address you entered for the card above.

XP will complain about having "limited or no internet access" but you don't really care if all you are connecting to is the stoker.

I'll try and find the thread on this.

-rob

Mark,

I found the thread and it is here:

Wireless access with a WAP

The main reason why to do this is if you don't have a spare "field" router for the comps then you could just bring your WAP. However, I ended up just getting a spare WRT54G and tossing it in my electronics box rather than having to configure it for AD-HOC/Infrastructure depending upon where I wanted to use it.

-rob

Thanks rob

Hooking the WAP up might be to complicated for me so I think I will just connect the Stoker to the router. I think I should be able to handle that after watching you video. You made it look easy.

Mark

Thank you for the pre game (wifi & smart phone) help!
icon_biggrin.gif
I received a box from stoker on Friday. I hope to get started this week tying to implement every thing that I have learned.
I need to set up a waterproof box and make sure I can hit the wifi @the house and office along with the Iphone My pit is at the body shop getting new door gaskets and fresh paint.
icon_rolleyes.gif
So I guess I am still waiting to cook Q thanks again I know where I can come to if I need help.
icon_biggrin.gif

icon_wink.gif

You can play with everything without cooking. Indeed, it is the best way to become familiar with the setup before critical time of smoking something. So go ahead and configure everything while waiting for your smoker to get fixed...

Back