Overnighter question

Brian_S

TVWBB Fan
Probably going to do my first overnighter next Friday night (two butts for a party Saturday).

My question is, how far in advance can I rub down the butt? Was think of prepping on Wednesday night because I have something going on after work Thursday.

Any thoughts?

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum!
I've prepped butts two days in advance then even added more rub just before putting them on the smoker.
I did not have any issues. I'd say you're alright doing it.

I rubbed 36 hrs early once, with salt in the rub, and the meat was great. Two days should be no problem.

Just be careful if your rub has a lot of salt. I'm sure it's a matter of personal taste but some people say it can make it taste more like ham (which makes sense as you might be curing the outside).

Thanks Lew & Scooter for the feedback. I'm probably just going to try and get it prepped late Thursday to go on late Friday, might try a little farther in advance for convenience in the future.

Another question for any takers, I've only cooked so far without water in the pan. I'm sure adding water will give me some insurance on temp spikes (want to be able to get some sleep!) but I also don't want to run out of fuel.

Any opinions on the matter?

If you're smoking Friday night, I would rub late Thursday night after you're done with your thing after work.

Like previous posters said, you can certainly do two days in advance, but it will almost be like a paste by Friday.

I prefer water in the pan for long smokes, some use a clay saucer, sand, etc. for their heat sink. Whatever you use, it will stablize temps when you settle on your vent settings.

If it's your first overnighter, you're probably not going to get much sleep. I usually get about 5-6 hours. I get up a couple times to check on things and see if I need to add more water.

IMHO 24 hours at most if you have salt in the rub. Nothing really gained other than convenience beyond that in my experience.

Otherwise rubbing right before the cook is fine. I.E. - right before the cook pull from the fridge, apply salt - let it sweat then apply the rub as heavy as you like. This removes any risk of a hammy flavor to the butts that can happen with heavy salt rubs applied for beyond 24 hrs.

To increase opportunity for the smoke ring keep them cold before hand. Create a minion and maximize the time below 140 degrees. After that temp the smoke ring development stops.

Put the butts on right after you start the WSM, no need to wait for the WSM to come up to any specific temp. Don't overdo the smoke wood.

For overnight, hand back your ring up over the top. This eliminates air pockets and opportunity for spikes. Especially if you are using lump, if using lump break up the larger chunks.

Create a slow start, don't use more than 10-15 lit briquettes.

Assuming you are not using an ATC - before you go to bed make sure you are stabilized at your cook temp of choice for about an hour before retiring - after a good shake or kick to settle out the ash and fuel.

I like having a pit temp remote to wake me up if things dip/spike overnight but this is not absolutely necessary.

Good luck, let us know how you do!

Well I just finished prepping and rubbing the butts, did a bit less salt than normal, should only be about 24 hour window until they go on.

Will try to take some pictures and post with results Saturday night or Sunday.

Good luck Brian! Like Jack said, sleep may be a little scarce for your first overnighter. Try to put it out of your mind though. Once you get the temps settled-in, the WSM will hold it there for many hours. I sleep well now when I do overnighters, but the first time I was tossin' and turnin, and getting up to peek at the temps/tweak the vents. No need to do all of that; just get it settled in, and let it roll. Have fun and enjoy the great que! You'll be proud when the folks at your party rave over it! Give us a final report.

Welll put the butts on about 30 minutes ago. Waiting for the temps to settle and then hopefully getting some sleep!

Going to set the alarm on the maverick, so hopefully I won't be tempted to get up and check.

Hey Brian - how did things go? The Maverick is great for overnighters and promotes sleep - at least from me.

Nice to have that monitor on the night stand. The times I had mine go off was for pit temps. Once on a spike upwards and once for low temp.

Both were within the + or - 25 degree range so I ignored them as I new I'd be getting up in a couple hours.

Easier to roll over and look at the temp than going downstairs and outside at the time for something that in the end made no difference.

No reason to get up and tweak vents for anything at or below 25 degree difference either way IMHO on long cooks.

Probably too late but a butt is big enough to rub early (24-48hrs). You're only creating bark. I don't believe that a salted rub will have any impact on meat of that size. As always, try it a few ways and make your own decisions. I generally apply rub anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours before the cook mostly depending on my own schedule.

Overall it was a big success. Had a few people over that very rarely eat bbq and now they want to know what time to come over today for round two!

Quick Recap:

Fired up the smoker and put on the meat at 10pm using 30 - 40 lit coals. Caught the temps on the way up, set the maverick and went to bed about 11:30. Was trying to stay around 250.

The alarm went off once when the temp spiked around 2am, adjusted the vents again and no more problems until 5:30 when the dog woke me up.

Ended up letting it go until 11:30 before foiling for a few hours while I cooked some chickens.

Used my phone to take some pictures, but its not cooperating with me this morning. Will post them later if I can get it to work.

Thanks all for the tips.

Sounds like a success - congrats!!

Interesting as 20-40 lit for 18.5 WSM would be a bit too much, but for the big gun like you have sounds like it was fine.

Good reference.

Hey Ray, I was a bit nervous with how much lit charcoal I had put on, but it worked out. Wasn't really paying attention when I had originally poured it into the chimney and that was my guess when I poured it onto the unlit.

I'm also guessing if I just foiled the water pan instead of filling with hot water that I could have used a bit less.

Next time I might count them out and pay real close attention so I have a better reference point in the future depending on outside conditions and amount of cold meat going into the smoker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian_S:
Hey Ray, I was a bit nervous with how much lit charcoal I had put on, but it worked out. Wasn't really paying attention when I had originally poured it into the chimney and that was my guess when I poured it onto the unlit.

I'm also guessing if I just foiled the water pan instead of filling with hot water that I could have used a bit less.

Next time I might count them out and pay real close attention so I have a better reference point in the future depending on outside conditions and amount of cold meat going into the smoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I count the lit. It's key IMHO for the come up and actually for how the minion works until the whole ring is engaged/behaves during the rest of the cook. Error towards less lit is the key.

No water in the pan is really required if you are confident with fire control or else using an ATC. Foiling the pan in this case just makes clean up easier.

Back