overcooked beef

andrew_l

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi. Yesterday I decided to cook a roasting joint of beef on my WSM. Cooked it at 180° C (I think thats about 350° F ). and used my weber probe thermometer to check the temp. Set the probe to rare and took the meat off when the temp reached 135° (which Weber state to be rare). It was medium to well done! Would I have got rare if I'd taken it off at 125° ??? It really spoiled it for me - in the oven I use the look - and - touch method and always end up with a nice, bloody rare joint. But I've never checked the temperature!

Thanks,

Andrew

Assuming you let the meat rest for awhile. It will continue to cook a few more degrees. I think that may have been your problem. When your temp reached your 135 is was on the way up. When resting it will continue to keep riseing maybe as much 5 Degrees or more. Next time take it out a little sooner and see what happens after it has rested.

At 350 a roast can rise 10-15 degrees easily. 135 is medium-rare, Weber's claim notwithstanding.

Thanks for the replies. So - 135 plus 15 would be 150. Plus 5 would be 140. And if I'd pulled the emat at 125° and it had risen 10° it would still have hit 135 - so would be medium?
So does this mean that to get rare, cooking at 350° and resting for 15 minutes, I'd really need to pull the meat when it hits 120° to be sure?

Andrew

Andrew--

135 is medium-rare. I usually pull at 115 or so tops for roasts like whole tenderloins (even 112 if the cook temp trended higher) and ~120 for larger, thicker roasts where one can anticipate the bump to be milder.

Kevin,

I'd be interested to know your pull temps for varying grill temps. For example, 600 degree grilling temps would probably have a high bump after pulling vs. a 250 smoke. What are your pull temps for various meats at various temps? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Ron--

Yes, 600-degree grilling temps would have a higher bump--except that meats are not cooked all that long on those temps, necessarily.

A few things: For something like a tri-tip that might be cooked more slowly for the bulk of the cooking time but started or finished with a high-heat sear, one can usually expect the higher bump numbers (especially if searing takes place at the end and especially if the meat is well seared). For something like a steak--something that is mostly or only cooked direct--one can expect higher numbers as well. (I do not use a therm for steaks, I finger-test only, but for most steaks at most thicknesses cooked mostly direct, I pull when the steak just starts to feel that it's at the level of doneness preceding the done point I am shooting for.) If temping, this would be close to 15 degrees shy, but here is a caveat (and one I should have noted earlier for Andrew--Andrew, you out there?): This--determining the bump expectation--is more difficult with rare finishes. This is because 'rare' actually has a wider definition than the other doneness levels, i.e., my rare might be your raw, her rare might be his medium-rare; and because, especially on thicker cuts and roasts, the meat is not necessarily on or in the heat long enough to be able to push through the low interior starting temps of the meat, especially if the meat went in cold. This is not usually a problem with direct-grilled steaks because the heat is high enough and the meat is thin enough that, pulled shy of desired finish, the momentum, so to speak, of the heat rise will carry. On larger cuts, especially if roasted the entire time (cooked direct) and especially if the meat went in to cook fresh out of the fridge, the bump can be lower for rare finishes. This is not a problem for the middle to the end of the medium-rare level, for medium, medium-well and well because the heat momentum is established by the medium-rare point (and, subsequently, one can usually be more confident of higher bump numbers).

Thanks for the detailed replies! So ideally meat will be at room temp when it goes on the WSM and the hoter it is being cooked at, the more the temp bump when removed so the answwer is to remove at a lower internal temp?! So if I want rare (my rare is quite rare - distinctly bloody in the centre going to cooked around the edges only) so I'd aim to pull at 115 / 120.

I'll give that a whirl and see how it goes!

Thanks again

Andrew

For low/slows I put the meat in cold as I look to maximize smokering formation (they're so pretty). But for larger cuts I'm doing at higher temps to a rare finish I'll pull them from the fridge to warm up.

I cooked another roast yesterday, following the advice given, and pulled the beef at 120 Celsius. Left it wrapped in foil for about 15 minutes, and it was awesome! Tender, rare - just as I like it. So thanks, everyone.
Covered it in a paste of garlic, olive oil, pomegranate molasses, cayenne and fresh coriander (which I think is the same as cilantro). It was really nice.
Problems keeping the temps at 180C though - it kept going up to around 240C!

Andrew, I know we're behind the rest of the world on this, but could you please help us by describing your temps in degrees Fahrenheit instead of Celsius or use both? In your post, you said you pulled the beef at 120C (I'm sure you meant Fahrenheit), and I don't know what 180C vs 240C is without finding a conversion chart.

At any rate, keeping temps low is usually about vent control (air flow). If it gets away from you, it's hard to get back under control. I have at times closed the top vent for a short period of time to get things back under control. Also, as you noticed given that your roast was “awesome”, rock solid temp control is not always necessary for a good result. Unless you’re baking, a little higher or lower temp isn’t going to hurt a good piece of meat.

Jerry - you're right - the meat was pulled at 120 F!!! The problem arises here because it seems that the government wants us to go Celcius to be like the rest of Europe (I want to stay Imperial) so things like thermometers made in UK or Europe are now in Celcius. My Weber thermometer in contrast is in Farenheit. So the temperature of the WSM is measured in Celsius and the meat temp in Farenheit.
Similarly with weights - it is now illegal for a shopkeeper to sell meat, veg etc in anything other than Kilos, but all of our cook books are still in imperial pounds etc.
Distances seem to be going metric too - which is NOT democracy as the vast majority of the country wants to keep miles, pounds and ounces etc.
So apologies for the confusion - but you can blame Blair!!

Back