Over night smoke

Brian Staley

TVWBB Fan
Well, after cooking 12 butts on the 22.5 (two smokes of 4 butts and two smokes with 2 butts) I am going to do my first over nighter with out sitting up all night. Plan to hit the sack in the next hour or so. I just got them started about one hour ago and the temp seems to have settled in at 235.
Pan full of hot water, and 23 lbs of KB. Added about 1/2 a chim of lit.
Still a little nervous, never cooked with the temps going so low at night, and I don't have any of those fancy temp control devices.
Plan to pull them when they are done and add 6 racks of ribs.

Brian, are you really using 23 pounds of charcoal
icon_eek.gif
. When I do an overnighter, I start the chimney around 4PM. By the time the WSM settles down it's usually around 9 or 10 o'clock. Then I just go to bed. This is a real simplified explanation but overnighters are no big deal plus I get a good nights sleep plus the butts are almost done by the time I get up. Good eats for breakfast if you're lucky
icon_biggrin.gif

If you really want peace of mind, get the Maverick remote thermometer. You can monitor grill and meat temps remotely, so you can just roll over in bed and check the temps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Jacobson:
If you really want peace of mind, get the Maverick remote thermometer. You can monitor grill and meat temps remotely, so you can just roll over in bed and check the temps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only you can roll over to check but you can also set high/low temp alarms for the temperature at grate level and also a separate alarm for meat internal temp.
right now I'm smoking a brisked with following values for the alarm:
min BBQ temp: 200
Max BBQ temp: 235
Meat internal temp: 170 "will foil after that"
if any of those temps are crossed, alarm will sound and you can go adjust your vents, really useful.

Back