OTG Chile Verde

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
The first chilly day this season. A high of 51 in the Jersey highlands and tonight's low around 37F. Brr. Wet and overcast for the day as well. Seemed like a perfect time for Chile Verde -- Mexican chile with fresh green chilies and pork.
Started with 3.88 lb of pork butt (on sale, actual price was around $8.50).
IMG_3404.jpg

Pork was sliced about an inch thick and seared on the grill.
IMG_3407.jpg

Three poblanos were charred.
IMG_3406.jpg

The other chilies were grilled briefly. Three jalapenos, two mole, four hatch (?) and a tiny undernourished green bell pepper.
IMG_3408.jpg

Serious question for those from the southwest: are the four large light green peppers truly hatch? In the supermarket they were simply labeled as long green peppers. Taste was great; fruity with a little heat.

A dozen tomatillos grilled, then put through the food processor. The rest of the chilies were chopped.
IMG_3409.jpg

I took some ends from my homemade bacon and fried in a dutch oven with onion and a little garlic and sage. Added cumin, pepper, salt and pepper and all other ingredients and simmered for just under an hour until pork was very tender. Served with cilantro for garnish and homemade corn tortillas. Simple and really tasty on a chilly day. There's even a little left over for tomorrow's dinner. ;)
IMG_3411.jpg

And here's the recipe for those interested. Enjoy and thanks for visiting.

Last edited:
That is a mighty fine looking bowl of Chili Verde. Chili is actually one of the reasons why I have not been on the forums lately. Too many chili cook offs to do! (Work is the other reason. :mad:)

Yum thanks Gary! Geez your weather sounds like mine! Great cooking! Thanks for supplying links too!

Dang Gary, you had some great looking pork steaks going there before you...
turned them into a super looking cool weather meal!
Two thumbs up on the cook and your photos!

Re your question. I don't think those are Hatch peppers. The ones I've seen are more misshapen. But I'm not an expert on the issue.

Do an image search on google for Hatch chiles and compare. They look different.

Throwing this in the recipe folder. Thanks for the recipe link Gary. Looks great, I love chilli.

Is it too late? I can be right up in about 2 hours, I'll bring the cervasa!!:cool:

Serious question for those from the southwest: are the four large light green peppers truly hatch? In the supermarket they were simply labeled as long green peppers. Taste was great; fruity with a little heat.

That looks really tasty. I am wondering about the "Hatch" though I think most likely not.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatch_chile. We do get the real Hatch here in Colorado but not as previlent as some belive. I have family in Alb, NM and have gotten lots of peppers there that looked similar but had diffrent heat and flavor. But either way that is a bowl I would dive into without any problem.

That looks really tasty. I am wondering about the "Hatch" though I think most likely not.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatch_chile. We do get the real Hatch here in Colorado but not as previlent as some belive. I have family in Alb, NM and have gotten lots of peppers there that looked similar but had diffrent heat and flavor. But either way that is a bowl I would dive into without any problem.
Thanks much MH...and welcome to the forum!

Wow, your charring on that first picture of the peppers is amazing. That many micro blisters makes them look like they have reflective material on them. I bet the flavor after that was absolutely amazing. You wrap them in anything after they came off to skin them a little easier?

As far as "Hatch Chiles" not referred to what type of pepper but called Hatch bc they come from Hatch New Mexico. Most of the peppers are aka: Big Jims

That looks amazing...got a chili cook off coming up at work, just may have to do this one...thanks for the recipe

Back