Original grates - Can they rust?

Andrew Luis

TVWBB Fan
I had left the original grates from my OTG outside for a month with rain; it looked like they may have rusted as a result.

Can they be brought back to life or do I just need to buy a new one?

Short answer - 'Yes'. They're chrome plated steel........nothing there to stop or inhibit rust from forming. Weber sells a stainless steel grate for 29.95 that's a good low-cost alternative. Other options would be cast-iron (Craycort, Charbroil, custom, etc.), but they're more work (than stainless) to keep up.

How much had you used them before leaving them outside? If the plating was completely intact, it might clean up just fine. Hit it with a Scotch-Brite pad and see what happens. You can certainly use them once you have the rust cleaned off. Most people don't have any of the chrome plating left on their grills, anyway.

Give it a good scrub and oil it. Use a white paper towel when you oil it and you can tell if you still have rust on it. My grate is probably 7 years old and has no shine left to it, it's just a nice black backed on colour.

Give it a good scrub and oil it. Use a white paper towel when you oil it and you can tell if you still have rust on it. My grate is probably 7 years old and has no shine left to it, it's just a nice black backed on colour.

What Bob said. Once they are cleaned and oiled once in a while they are ready to go for many more years of service.

Back