Ordering my supplies!

You just need to change the probe type to thermocouple in the web config.

Oh damn, awesome thank you!

The others reading ~90° high, that's where folks are using the offset and boiling water to calibrate correct?

I just noticed the probe presets. I'm just going to wait and see how the 72/73 probes I got read.

I don't have a probe to put into the thermocouple to test. The other 3 read that much off (in comparison to a kitchen thermostat) with a unknown probe type.

You can stick a small piece of wire in the holes of the TC jack to short it out. It should then display the ambient temp of the TC amp.

You can stick a small piece of wire in the holes of the TC jack to short it out. It should then display the ambient temp of the TC amp.

Jumped with Type==Thermocouple it shows 76F and my room is 22.9C so about 73F. Doesn't seem too bad if that would be amp temp?

76F is fine.

The make/model of thermistor probes matter. They all have a different temp/resistance curve, which is why there are presets in the heatermeter config. You can use probes not listed in the config, but you'll need to track down the Steinhart-Hart coefficients for them, or calculate them yourself.

Get the thermoworks probes if you haven't ordered any yet.

Alright, ordering now along with a thermocouple. I had mavericks in 'save for later' mostly because the Thermoworks aren't prime eligible, I'll just keep my fingers crossed for an earlier than 24th delivery date.

Thermoworks is great with shipping. They will normally ship the same day. For my thermocouple I went with the Auber. It works great. Enjoy. Sounds like you are doing great. Keep up the good work.

Got my probes, weber smokey mountain w/replacement door and thermostats all calibrated (thanks again for the help). I'm still waiting on the gasket kit I ordered but that isn't going to stop me from getting everything dirty this weekend.

I wanted to express my gratitude again and show how I mounted my fan to the WSM in-case it ends up being helpful to anyone. The reducer fits the hose snug so I can remove the fan pretty easily. I don't think the heat will be a problem but if it is I'll get more rugged with the hose/nipple.

I cut out a section of the reducer and super glued it to the fan. I used four coats of super glue (letting it dry between coats) to fill in all of the gaps except for the crescent along the top of the fan (as pictured) from the 'tail' of the reducer. I then applied Bob Smith Quick-Cure epoxy along all the joints and filled in the crescent gap. It seems to do a really good job of pushing air into the charcoal chamber so I have high hopes. The hose is cut so the fan sits about 1" off of the ground without any other support.

I figured you folks would appreciate photos, if I'm ever spamming the forum too much let me know.

Vr31Xk4l.jpg

7veeiZdl.jpg

Last edited:
I'm preparing to order for a HM build as well. Hoping to find some time this weekend to look at everything and make sure I get everything I want put together. Not sure if the case builders do discounts for combined orders but I'm looking for a 3d case (the newest version) and not sure yet what color I'm interested in. I just ordered a 2in1 SMD rework and iron station yesterday (http://www.ebay.com/itm/181139781537?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT). Hope it works out well.

I got the 3d printed case from Tom and purchased my parts from Bryan's site

I didn't have to do the surface mount soldering when I ordered it with the thermocouple PCB. I got all the parts, everything went smooth other than some things I misunderstood. The instructions are very well written. I got a Weller WES51 but ordered a thinner tip than what came with the iron and I was glad I did. Nothing was too difficult without having to do the surfface mount soldering though.

What I used:
Solder
Tip
Good luck, the community here is great.

Last edited:

Back