Opinons or Experience - Foiling Wagyu Flat

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Anyone have experience working with Wagyu flats? I have a 6.7 lb Wagyu flat that I'm cooking today and I'm going back and forth on foiling her around 165 and then taking her out of foil the last hour of the cook to firm her up. All my experience is with packers and when doing packers (Wagyu too) I no longer foil.

I'll be cooking her at 210 on my ceramic.

Looking forward to experience and opinions.

If it is extremely well marbled like mine was, I would NOT foil - this way you get that traditional brisket flavour with no hint of the slight steamed effect you get from foiling and it should still stay nice and moist/fatty.

David, was yours a Wagyu Packer or Flat?

Update: Due to lack of time it looks like I'm going to be foiling at 165; it's 3:30 p.m. and I'm at 155 and we are wanting to eat at 7:00 p.m.. Into a foiled pan (no liquid) around 165 I'm thinking.

Here's the cook 5 hours in:

I've done both... packers are simply sublime, it is a fatty flavour explosion (admittedly too fatty, so you need to have tiny amounts of the point
icon_wink.gif
).

However provided it is a high grade wagyu (i.e. marbling score 7 or higher), the flats work brilliantly being smoked without foil.

Got it, guess the point is moot now due to time slipping away from me. Would have like to have run her un-foiled the entire cook, oh well, an excuse to get another one
icon_smile.gif

I agree, the point in the full packers are incredibly rich, bordering on the line of obscene.

Thanks for your input, I'm sure she'll be grand!

ly

The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board Hop To Forum Categories Barbecuing Opinons or Experience - Foiling Wagyu Flat

What rub did you use? Foiled naked or with additions?

Judging from your previous cooks, I have no doubt that it will turn out great! Please be sure to post pics of it sliced too
icon_wink.gif

I used a coffee cardamom rub and I wish I could say it turned out as well as previous cooks. Not even close. I've had just as good of cooks out of select packers going at high heat. I got some pictures but they're very deceiving, pictures look much better than the meat actually was. Rub and Pecan smoke was great but don't think I'll buy a flat again.

KKWagyuFlat4.jpg

SLIDE SHOW

Back