Opinions on a new themometer.

Randy P.

TVWBB Pro
I have got 4 different "wal-mart specials" of themos that I have never really trusted, so I done the water boil test last night. As I thought I had temps of 177 - 210, after 5 minutes of good boiling. I have decided to retire all the cheapo's and get a good one.

I assume the Maverick ET-73 and a themopen is the best choices from all the notes I have followed here. If anyone has any other ideas please help me out.

Thanks

Randy
J.R.'S Smokers

I've had the ET-73 since christmas. I probably wouldn't have bought one for myself. I think it's great. Perfect addition to the wsm along with the bbq guru eyelets. The alarms will allow you to cook briskett or butts while you sleep like a baby without a worry.

I "had" the Maverick ET-7, and although similar to, it's slightly different than the ET-73. The first probe went out within a month, customer service was very helpful, they were willing to sell me a new one for $15.00 plus shipping. It was nearly impossible to sync with the remote. When I finally chucked it after 6 months and zero customer service, it read 30* to high.

I replaced it I rplaced it with a Taylor 1474 wireless which has performed flawlessly since I got it 6 weeks ago. It unpacked and read 32* in icewater and 213* in boiling water. Just turn it on and it syncs right up. Excellent!

I bought two Taylor 1474 thermometers from Amazon a couple weeks ago. I paid $10 each (reg. $40), but they are $15 now. Here are my impressions/results:

Quality - Overall they appear fairly well-made. They aren't all that rugged, but they should be fine if properly cared for. A magnet on the back of the main unit would be a nice touch, but that's easily added. The probe leads are 37 in. long and covered with wire braid.

Features - The base unit has a count up/down timer and pre-programmed temperature settings by doneness (rare, medium rare, medium and well) for all major meats (beef, ground beef, veal, lamb, pork, chicken and turkey). Of course it also has a programmable setting for a custom temperature. One feature I found really useful is that the count-up timer automatically starts when the target temperature is hit.

Accuracy - I used a web calculator to determine the precise boiling point of water given the elevation in Boise (2600 ft) and the current barometric pressure (30.05 in). The calculated the boiling point was 207.6 degrees. Both thermometers were perfectly accurate, showing a reading of 208.

Wireless - The wireless remote for both units worked flawlessly even around a corner at about 50 feet. They never once lost communication with the base unit. Each unit can be set to use a separate RF channel to prevent them from interfering with each other.

Conclusion - I am very impressed with these units, especially given the $10 bargain basement price. Amazon has since raised the price to $15, but they are still a steal at that price. My tests were done in my kitchen, a couple real cooks will tell the whole story. I look forward to putting them through their paces.

John
Patio Daddio BBQ

I have a Polder and have no idea whether folks on this board consider it good or junk. Personally, i have not used it a lot, but when installed in the meat, within the grill, it failed. Polder sent me a new one but told me not to put it in the grill

anyone else try this unit? i am also interested in buying a quality unit. The taylor reviews seem mixed.

I have the ET-73. It works, but I still think it's a tool of the devil. Not user friendly for setting temps. The Q world is waiting for a better product, then they will dump the ET-73. But for now it works as well as any other. Maybe just a little bit better.

For analog, I am partial to Tel-Tru. They carry a very good variety of thermometers.

If you have the money, get a thermapen, however, the thermapen is not really a thermometer you can use for measuring smoker (pit) temp. For that, the ET-73 is good but there are better, especially if you don't need the wireless ability. I have an ET-73, but I hardly use it any more. I just have a cheap (but accurate) thermometer through the vent rivet and my thermapen. That seems to work for me.

OK Thanks Guys.

I do want the thermopen for sure for the meat temps and need something separate for the smoker temps. I will keeps tabs on the responses and make a decision in a few days.

Randy

I was very skeptical buying a thermopen. It seemed very expensive. Actually, it is very expensive.

However, I am VERY happy I bought it. It is great tool in my cooking arsenal now, and I use it all the time.

-Matt

You don't need a Thermopen it's just great too have a thermometer that gives a reading in one second.

The Taylor digital that sells for $11-$20 gets the job done when checking meat.

The ultimate for cooking on a WSM is a BBQ Guru.

Back