Opinion on smoking under a covered porch?

Thomas Nguyen

I was planning on doing a smoke this weekend out in the open but there is rain in the forecast. As an alternative I could just do the smoke on my covered porch that has a ceiling about 12 feet high. Anyone have any opinions on doing a smoke under a covered porch? Will the smoke cause visible side effects on the porch ceiling?

You might consider setting up the WSM as close to the edge of your porch to still keep you dry, and a small fan aimed at your upper vents -- just enough to stir up the smoke and move it out from under the porch roof. Might be overkill, tho.

Rita

As an alternative I could just do the smoke on my covered porch that has a ceiling about 12 feet high... Will the smoke cause visible side effects on the porch ceiling?
Nah, I'd only worry about smoke going into the house. Beyond that you should be fine. Shouldn't have that much smoke coming out of the cooker anyway.

The smell of smoke could linger for a long time in your porch if it is enclosed. If not, it shouldn't be a problem. It would make sense to use a fan to blow the smoke outside if you go that route. I would be inclined to try it outside with some type of foil cover over the vent of your cooker.

I have my WSM and Gasser on a screened in porch with a roof, the ceiling is at 9'-0". I turn off my ceiling fans to keep the smoke up high and it flows out the screens. No smokey residue has ever accumulated, although it stills smells awfully good when cookin
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I do all of my smoking under my lean-to. The ceiling has developed a real nice black patina. But that is the effect I'm trying for. If you don't want the black, use a fan as suggested by Rita.

You should be fine, but there is one thing to caution about. Don't leave the lid off once the fire is lit. Someone posted here once that they started their fire, put the middle section on and went into the house to do something. When they came out, the fire was burning like all get out and if your ceiling was flammable, it would be on fire.

On an open porch under normal operation, no problem - been there done that.

I have many times and I don't see any affect on the ceiling. When my grill was under then that was a problem. One thing I hate is all the damn flies that gather around when I'm smoking something. Not sure if its the smoke that doesn't get blown away but there is always a bunch of flies around.

I do my all of my smoking under our breezeway/porch (8' roof) and have had no problems at all.

I installed an outdoor ceiling fan to help dissipate the smoke. The white ceiling has not even been discolored, although the blades on the fan can get pretty grungy.

I actually enjoy using the smoker while it's raining while sitting warm and dry in the breezeway.

Back