On a quest for chuck roll.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One question, about the beef...Most of the chuck roll posts say that foiling at 160 is the norm, but is it necessary? I'd rather just let them smoke along with the butts if there isn't a quality issue. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've done beef both ways ... usually say it doesn't matter to foil or not foil butts, but it's a good idea to foil beef chuck, I'd say recommended approach.
It's been my experience beef chuck can dry out before it gets pullable.

Chuck is a little firmer stuff than pork butt and it takes more cooking than pork butt to get to pullable. You might be looking at 210ºF before it's nice and soft. Temp wise, I'd say start checking around 195ºF.

Do go by feel, my first couple weren't cooked enough. Even though they hit temp they didn't pull well at all, took forever and not enough fat had rended off either so they just seemed greasy through and through.

Sounds like a good one, looking forward to your pics!

'May your coals burn steady and your access door stay on overnight.' lol

The beef is now in foil, and while I had the lid off and was tinkering around I decided it was a good time to replenish my fuel. And a good thing I did, it was getting low. Shes back up and rolling again @ 250 lid temp. Both beef and pork are in the low 170s now. Thanks for the advice Shawn. With all this meat to pull, I dont want to be struggling with any of it
icon_smile.gif

Glad to here everything is working out for you Brandon. I've been peeking in on this, as I'm doing a couple of chuck roasts along with the red oak (which I haven't tried before)
Hopefully mine turns out as good as yours.
There is nothing more than a big ole pile of meat, than to make a normally sane person go out and play in the cold.
Well, that and a hip flask
icon_wink.gif

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
Sigh, well the closest Sams is 120 miles away (Ames), closest Costco is more like 150(Des Moines), and as far as I can tell there isnt a Bj's anywhere near. If I can get off my dead arse tomarrow, I'll have to call Fareway. Its a grocery store popular for its meat counter in this area and its only 20 miles away. I'm sure they'll have them, just not sure I'll want to pay what they want for them
icon_redface.gif
Man, I'm really looking forward to q'in this weekend, been a long week already and its only wed. Wish I could bbq for a living!

Brandon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have a Kroger check with them. I did what Bryan suggested and asked the meat dept, and by golly they said yes they had some in the back.

First I'll have to apoligize for not following through on the pictures. We had people over and I got sidetracked.

Since this is a post about Chuck rolls, I'll start there. I foiled them at 160 and checked for tender at 195, they were getting close, but I let them go another 10 degrees to 205. Rested in the microwave for a good 3 hours.They turned out perfect!
icon_smile.gif
And they pulled like a dream. There was a deep red smokering, and the bark didnt suffer (much) from the foiling.

Somehow I managed to screw up the butts
icon_eek.gif
I've done a hundred of them now, and never had a problem, so I am a bit confused. They were on the bottom grate side by side, under the beef. The chucks came off first, and I pulled the butts at 192, if I remember correctly. They were probe tender like normal. But now in hindsight, I do remember thinking how easily I got them off the grate, as nothing stuck to the grate. They rested along with the beef for about 3 hours. When I went to pull I found that the top halfs of the butts were decently pullable but the bottoms were impossible. They were greasy as hell and it was obvious that they were not done. I saved what I could but by that point I was too frusturated to care about the 25 bucks worth of pork and threw most of it out. And what is in the bags looks soo greasy I may just throw that too.

Hey I still got a TON of beautifly pulled beef! And thats what I was going for, so I'd say it was a success.

My only thoughts on the pork...

Maybe my clay saucer full of sand sitting outside at zero degrees or below is the culprit. If it held its "coldness" for a long time, keeping the bottom of the butts cold, may explain alot.

What did you think of the beef besides it pulled well? Good stuff eh?

About the butts, when they weren't pulling as you described I would have thrown them in the oven at 275ºF for a few hours and see if that didn't smarten them up before I tossed them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> now in hindsight, I do remember thinking how easily I got them off the grate, as nothing stuck to the grate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>chalk another one up for feel and appearance over internal temp, I'm happy pulling them off the smoker in my hands with rubber gloves on and they feel like if I applied any amount of force they would just fall apart, bone is usually sticking out, and as you mentioned they may be sticking to the grate

Hindsight's 20/20 and all but still, it sucks, sorry to hear the butts didn't come out for ya.

Its funny, I was worried about the beef being hard to pull, not the pork. The beef pulled like the pork should have.

I know I could have tried to save the pork, but I just didnt have it in me at the time. I just wanted to eat and get things cleaned up so I could relax, it was a long day.

Back