Omaha Steaks

Cecil

TVWBB Fan
We recently received a gift card for Omaha Steaks. I ordered some steaks and the came in yesterday. Only problem the dry ice had melted and the steaks had thawed out. They still felt pretty cold to the touch so I put them in the freezer and called Omaha Steaks and they are sending me a new order. My question is as they still felt cold to the touch and had good color do you think they will still be good to put on the grill?

I'd still eat them, Most people take there steaks out the fridge a hour or so before grilling them and let them come to room temp....Why not give them a try if they was still cold.

Probably. Still felt pretty cold is pretty subjective. Whereas I'm in a t-shirt and shorts when it's 70 (in the house), my wife is wearing a sweater and is frequently wrapped in a throw while watching tv.

Quite often you can buy meat that was previously frozen (advertised as such) and re-freeze it (salmon and ribs come to mind). You may notice though that when it is thawed a second time, there is a lot more liquid in the bag. It really depends on how it was handled b4 it got to you.

Quality may suffer (you may or may not notice it in the cooked product). I would try it as a one-off meal and see how you feel several hours later. Don't have a big dinner party just in case.

Having said that, you'll get both sides I'm sure: don't ever eat meat that was defrosted/refrozen/defrosted. It's ok to eat it. In the end, you also need to do your own homework and determine:

As our buddy Insp Callaghan would say: do ya feel lucky punk? ;)

Last edited:
No offense to the gift giver (it's the thought that counts), but Omaha steaks are never edible :)

I had a friend who was given some by his parents or gf, & they just weren't right... that's been several years.

Don't really know much about Omaha steaks, but Costco prime grade meat or local butcher shops are probably a much better bet and you don't have to worry about shipping problems. Enjoy.

I ordered some steaks a few years back. They were OK but nothing spectacular. What turned me off is they hounded me for months, both email and phone, attempting to get me to reorder.

A buddy of mine got some Omaha steaks as a gift from his dad. He had us over to "enjoy". They were ok at best, but I told him they were good. Much rather have a bone in rib eye from Earth Fare, IMO.

We tried them once, but found that they were just OK, a no to any future reorders.

I think their filets are pretty good, not worth the price though. I also would eat said steaks though I probably would have cooked them that night instead of refreezing them.

Back