Older summit 6 burner deal?

Daum

TVWBB Super Fan
Recently came across and talking with the owner of a natural gas summit grill that looks to be in pretty good condition. I saw from some research that some of the older summits had rust problems and no replacement parts. It's listed at 200, what do you think?
1661257294142.png1661257309969.png1661257302184.png

From what I can see it looks like it's possible the middle flavorizer bar is rusted through. The review says it is fully functional (including burner) and comes with a cover and rotisserie kit. Think it's worth it? I do need to figure out how to transport it, unless there is an easy way to trim it down height wise as I only have a forester to load it in, otherwise need to rent a truck/delivery method.

Understand, you can nearly buy a whole new grill for what these cost to "fix". All Summits have a rust issue. Due to sheet metal fire box. This one is one many seek out due to stainless steel frame. But IIRC you will be well into about $400 just for the flavorizer bars. IMO they're nothing but trouble. Cook really well if/when they work though

Yah, this is going to be a costly fix no matter what you do. You might be able to get by with fixing up the cook box using Jon T's method but flavorizer bars and everything else is going to set you back several Benjamins at a time. That being said, those grates are prime and can be adapted fairly easily to use on a Genesis.
If you decide to go this route, just keep in mind that you might regret your decision after you get several hundred into it and still find you still have a ways to go to get it back in good operating shape.

Larry, if you look at the photos of this Summit, It seems to me that valve is with the side burner like the Genesis side burners. Therefor, I believe the valve would be in the burner.

Are you seeing problems with the grill in the current state or are you saying if it isn't actually fully working/breaks in the near future?

Larry, if you look at the photos of this Summit, It seems to me that valve is with the side burner like the Genesis side burners. Therefor, I believe the valve would be in the burner.
Yeah, however the question I recall about this was not on this gen but on the 3rd+ generation

There is nothing obvious or visible that looks bad. In fact, that Summit has a nice inner lining on the hood. The real challenge with this grill is the portions of the firebox that are made of porcelain plated steel that are not visible. This would be in front and rear, especially where the burner tubes go through the front. It is very common for rust to start and eventually burn-through. This can be dangerous.

All that being true and the fact that parts are less common and a lot more costly gives a lot of would-be restorers serious pause. Still, you CAN solve these problems with enough effort and money. I personally don’t think the “regular” models of this second generation Summit are worth it, but you are looking at the Platinum with wonderful 304 stainless frame and cabinetry. For a keeper grill for someone willing and able, I think this one is worth it! Best wishes, and please keep us updated.

Judging by the marks on the top of the cookbox and lower edge of the lid, I would guess that there is already significant rot around the burner tube holes in the cookbox.
1661257302184.png

Judging by the marks on the top of the cookbox and lower edge of the lid, I would guess that there is already significant rot around the burner tube holes in the cookbox.
View attachment 57993
Good eye on that, Steve. Most of them this old do have that going on. It comes down to whether you are willing to fabricate shields and pay for pricey replacement parts. But if you are, and you get everything working, these Platinum Summits with the rear infrared, smoker box and burner - and especially the stainless construction - have a lot going for them.

Good eye on that, Steve. Most of them this old do have that going on. It comes down to whether you are willing to fabricate shields and pay for pricey replacement parts. But if you are, and you get everything working, these Platinum Summits with the rear infrared, smoker box and burner - and especially the stainless construction - have a lot going for them.
They are beautiful grills to be sure. I would love to have one but it would have to kind of fall in my lap to get me to take the plunge on fixing one up.

I restored the same grill, 05 Summit Platinum D6, everything these gentlemen said is correct. I was lucky, I was able to fabricate cookbox pieces. It is an awesome grill. caveat emptor…

Attachments

• 0813B175-9762-4AFE-972C-220559738984.jpeg
    0813B175-9762-4AFE-972C-220559738984.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Back