Old vs New Waterpan in WSM 18.5

KenB

TVWBB Fan
Haven't been cooking much due to the snow and frigid temps but have done a ton of reading. In the book Low and Slow, the author insists the water pan must be used with water. Is he using the old pan (smaller capacity)or the new pan? I would like to try some of his recipes and his techniques.

Haven't been cooking much due to the snow and frigid temps but have done a ton of reading. In the book Low and Slow, the author insists the water pan must be used with water. Is he using the old pan (smaller capacity)or the new pan? I would like to try some of his recipes and his techniques.
I believe Gary Wiviott cooks on a 22" and I think the 22" did change "water bowls" at some point. I don't believe it's changed in the 18" so use what you got

Wiviott was old school, so at that time he only had an 18" which had the older pan.

Tim

Do you think using the newer larger capacity pan will make a difference when using his techniques?

@KenB Your not the only long islander pondering new vs old water panbowl!

I grew by you in lake ronkonkoma, but i live in east meadow now.

I just got a new WSM too. the new style water pan is a smokey joe bowl with no vents or leg holes.
The old style water pan was a smokey joe lid with no vents or handle.

Im going to try to use mine primary waterless so im wondering if the new or old will work better foiled without water. The new bowl is closer to the coals, not sure if the lack of air space will help or hurt. Im sure someone with more experience will have a better explanation.

Charlie,

I've done about ten cooks and only used water for one. Didn't seem to make much of a difference in taste but the water did help stabilize temps. My issue is consistency of temp. Without water The only way I've been able to keep my temps at 250 is by leaving 1 bottom vent open a little and closing the top vent about halfway. Most recommendations are to keep the top vent fully open. Once the weather warms up I'm going to be cooking a lot more and will test out a bunch of methods and fine tune my cooking.

I'm off Monday and if weather permits will toss on some thighs and some country style ribs I picked up this week.

Back