old performer

JimZ

TVWBB Super Fan
So I picked this up for $50 bucks. Not sure how to convert the propane tank to the newer small ones. Any advice? Im thinking of cleaning It up and flipping (possibly)
just not sure what the market is on these now. Any opinions on either would be appreciated.

1628503902490.png

That 5 lb tanks is probably worth a few bucks alone. But, unless you have a compelling reason to convert it to the disposable 1 lb canisters, I would not. Depending on how well it cleans up and how much you have to put into it, you should be able to make a decent profit. I am thinking $200 selling price or so.

That 5 lb tanks is probably worth a few bucks alone. But, unless you have a compelling reason to convert it to the disposable 1 lb canisters, I would not. Depending on how well it cleans up and how much you have to put into it, you should be able to make a decent profit. I am thinking $200 selling price or so.
Thanks Bruce. I’ll see what the tank looks like.

Nice Find JimZ,

I have been looking for one of those to restore and keep but every time one gets posted it is gone right away.
That would definitely be a keeper for me.

That one is in an interesting state. On the plus side, it does have six utensil hooks instead of the usual three. However, the handles have been sawed off and the wheels are on the wrong side. Are the side frames just reversed or did the previous owner drill holes in the right side frame? Even with these issues, it's probably worth saving--they're not making SSPs any more.

1628508852825.png

That one is in an interesting state. On the plus side, it does have six utensil hooks instead of the usual three. However, the handles have been sawed off and the wheels are on the wrong side. Are the side frames just reversed or did the previous owner drill holes in the right side frame? Even with these issues, it's probably worth saving--they're not making SSPs any more.

View attachment 34441

Good catch. I can weld new handles on and switch the wheels back to where they should be. I hope this turns into a fun flip project and not a pita.

Easy $200+ grill in my area. Black doesn't seem as popular as the colors, they linger a bit longer, but still sell. Definitely keep the 5lb propane and flip the wheels the correct way. Those extra stainless clips bring a few bucks on eBay. They were sold in packs of 3, that's why you have 6 (grill came with 3).

Yeah, and someone sawed off the handles, but most people probably won't notice.

View attachment 34441
Probably just flipped the end frames. Instructions are hard. :rolleyes:

Anyone have a source for parts for gen 1 performers? Really happy with the condition of this one! No rust lid is clean no nicks in the porcelain that I can see. The propane tank has gas and works. So far all I see is the two small wheels need to be replaced. That's it. This one is so clean I may end up keeping it and selling my newer green performer with the wood table I made for it. We will see..

Anyone have a source for parts for gen 1 performers? Really happy with the condition of this one! No rust lid is clean no nicks in the porcelain that I can see. The propane tank has gas and works. So far all I see is the two small wheels need to be replaced. That's it. This one is so clean I may end up keeping it and selling my newer green performer with the wood table I made for it. We will see..
Weber for parts.

Register all your grills. Explain to them you are a Weber enthusiast. They can be very generous with discounts.

I already flipped the end frames around need the small locking wheels don't think it will be a problem. I can believe how clean this thing is.

I already flipped the end frames around need the small locking wheels don't think it will be a probl50em. I can believe how clean this thing is.
Sometimes you can find the caster wheels (#6414) on Amazon Warehouse deals for like $6.50.

I love the old SSP’s! I just wish they were a bit higher, I’m 6’4”. The bowl on the one I bought was pretty beat so I put my 18” WSM in it.

View attachment 34624
Duane, any chance on your modified setup here, you'd be willing to part with the control panel under the lid? Or do you think you may eventually try to run gas to the smoker? I'm looking for a panel for my SSP.

Tom, I found the panel and original regulator with the quick disconnect for the 5lb. tank. Whatever you want is yours!

D58E2D40-94B0-44FB-B042-C6A5E1622455.png

Back