Observations about my new WSM bullet

Tibor Roczo

TVWBB Member
Hi everybody....I recently got a new 18.5 WSM and after using it the first time I have a few observations....

I admit I used an offset smoker before, and it did a good job, once I made some modifications on it...but when I used my new WSM,the first thing I noticed was the reverse order of things compared to the offset smoker..

1) The WSM heats up below the grate first, reaches 220 degrees well before the lid thermometer reaches 200...stays like that for about 2-3 hrs, before the temps even out...that was the complete oposite of the offset smoker, which heats up at the lid first, before the temps even out.

2) I used sand, and I noticed that using the original water pan is better than using the brinkman charcoal pan....reason being that the WSM waterpan is deeper, and the sand heats up slower. I ran constantly at 220-230 range, which was a pleasent surprise. The offset smoker is much harder to keep steady than the WSM.

3) I tried both ways using the Minion method....first, I tried using a full chimney of lit charcoal, and pouring unlit charcoal on top....I noticed the temps getting slower to reach 200 degrees, and then I used the unlit charcoal first, and putting hot coals on top....both ways the temps stayed steady, and I had no problems keeping the temps down.

Controlling the hot coals to the unlit charcoal is crucial if the hot coals are on top of the firebox. It is better if using 1/2 of the chimney, or even less when starting up the unit.

The other thing I noticed was the 3 vents at the bottom of the WSM...I tried to play with them, and the best way to use them is when all 3 vents are open.....I reached steady temps when all 3 of them were open about 10-12%.....and keeping the top vent to about 1/4, or 25% close...but the best way is when all 3 bottom vents are open, and that way the fuel burns uniformly....

I was very much impressed with the performance of the WSM...it gives out the most important thing neccessary for smoking meat...it keeps steady temps all around the cooking proccess, and that is in my opinion the most important thing, when BBQ-ing meat....

Glad you are enjoying the WSM.

I too try to keep all the vents open rather than only controlling with 1 vent. Unless there is wind and you don't have a wind break. You should shut the windy side vent to help temp control.

Absolutely true...luckily the wind was very light, and I had no problem keeping all 3 bottom vents open.

But even if there is wind, keeping the windy side closet still gives us about 2/3 of the charcoal burning, and all we have to do is stirring up the firebox once or twice, making sure the closed side gets enough mixed hot coals....the most impressive thing is the way it was designed having 3 vents at the bottom. Uniformity is the great advantage....

Tibor, glad you have developed such a firm grasp on your cooker. Your methods are best "for you" based on the way you are doing things. Others may do things slightly different and have their own "best" way of doing things. In the end the proof is in the meat.
Love to see your kind of enthusiasm.

Mark

I totally agree Mark...there are so many things influencing how we using the cooker...like outside temps. When I did the pork but last weekend at night, the temps went down below freezing, and it started snowing here in Dodge City, KS. That's a totally different ballgame, then say, cooking in Forida, or down South somewhere...outside temps make a huge difference.

I'm looking forward when the summer gets closer, that will probably change all these methods I'm using right now...but right now it surely looks great how steadily keeps the temps in range...

Tibor, you may find the WSM is so easy to cook on you feel it's cheating! After the work you go through on a horizontal smoker to learn there is such an easy way can be very stressful! For a small fee I will retrieve your WSM & let you go back to interactive cooking on the horizontal
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Ford:
Tibor, you may find the WSM is so easy to cook on you feel it's cheating! After the work you go through on a horizontal smoker to learn there is such an easy way can be very stressful! For a small fee I will retrieve your WSM & let you go back to interactive cooking on the horizontal
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, I'm doing a spare rib, and a baby back as we speak....I do it as slow I can, and I started around 9:30 this morning, and they're getting close of being done. My wife should come home in about one hour, and I hope they will get done by then....but I'm cooking around 200-225, so it might be a bit longer....pictures will follow, as soon they're done...

Welcome to the party, Tibor.
One suggestion...try regulating temps with top vent open fully.
Better draft thru the grates, bring the vapors from your smoke-wood past the meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Hartwell:
Welcome to the party, Tibor.
One suggestion...try regulating temps with top vent open fully.
Better draft thru the grates, bring the vapors from your smoke-wood past the meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Mike...I am playing a bit in every way to see how is the WSM reacting....so far I'm amazed how easily can be adjusted. Today was my third time cooking with the WSM, and I'm more & more impressed. I posted 3 pictures on the pictures gallery, and if you care to look, you'll find just how juicy are those ribs. I could never make them that juicy with the offset smoker. Incredible!

Love this site, great topics, and great people around here....God Bless...

Tibor: I do like Mike said "try regulating temps with top vent open fully"

I NEVER choke the burn by using the top vent. And "to have all 3 bottom vents open" I do that to(well 2 of em anyway it stands by a wall so the "back one" is closed)

About the even burn: Sure it maby feels better but not needed at all.

The fire will burn in a circle aslong as it gets oxygen. I dont mind that aslong as the temp´s keep in range.

Yea Tibor those ribs looks great...Thanks for sharing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tibor Roczo:
3) I tried both ways using the Minion method....first, I tried using a full chimney of lit charcoal, and pouring unlit charcoal on top....I noticed the temps getting slower to reach 200 degrees, and then I used the unlit charcoal first, and putting hot coals on top....both ways the temps stayed steady, and I had no problems keeping the temps down.

Controlling the hot coals to the unlit charcoal is crucial if the hot coals are on top of the firebox. It is better if using 1/2 of the chimney, or even less when starting up the unit.
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome, Tibor -- and thanks for sharing your observations. I completely agree with the suggestions to leave the top vent wide open and control everything with the bottom vents. I usually find that lower vents from 10 - 25% is about right -- sometimes with one closed due to wind.

On the charcoal burn, it seems to me that it tends to burn better down than it does up (which is what I think you said). That was a surprise to me, but I've never really tried hot coals on the bottom since the one attempt. I also like coals spread across the coal ring rather than concentrating them in the center or to one side. Neither of the last seems to allow the control I want. But I'm a relative newbie and have just seized on what works for me.

Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
Tibor: I do like Mike said "try regulating temps with top vent open fully"

I NEVER choke the burn by using the top vent. And "to have all 3 bottom vents open" I do that to(well 2 of em anyway it stands by a wall so the "back one" is closed)

About the even burn: Sure it maby feels better but not needed at all.

The fire will burn in a circle aslong as it gets oxygen. I dont mind that aslong as the temp´s keep in range.

Yea Tibor those ribs looks great...Thanks for sharing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the comeback.....may I offer you a Spaten?.....Cheers!

032613531.jpg

By tibor_r at 2011-04-03

Back