NY Style Pizza Dough

Originally posted by r benash:
Any special preference for type of cheese or blend to go with the pepperoni ?
icon_smile.gif
Ray, as far as mozz goes many claim that Grande is the best. I have used it, and really didn't care for it that much plus I could only get it online. My favorite mozz is Sorrento, avail at BJ's. Don't confuse it with Sargento (apples and oranges). Many say Polly O is good but it's hit and miss with flavor or the lack there of at times, that's also avail at BJ's. I just love the sorrento brand mozz. I often use a mozz, assiago blend, 70 - 30 for my NY style pies. When I make a greek pie, I use a 50/50 combo of mozz and cheddar. HTH

My camera came home after we ate most of another pie tonight.

A cold slice, my screen, parchment:
2008-11-11a001.jpg

Crust:
2008-11-11a002.jpg

Made two more batches of dough today using the bread machine... I don't like it for this recipe because it has a warm cycle ... the dough was 90ºF when I took it out. Ah, anyway, it's in the fridge cooling.

Hey was thinking today it cold ferments to get a sour going, have you tried using uniodized salt? Or throwing in a little sourdough starter?

Shawn, ALWAYS use UNiodized salt in bread recipes. You're on a good track...adding a little sourdough starter (a firm starter is great for this) is a nice option. Plus the long, cold retardation of the dough should give you good flavor.

I tried to use the last of the first four balls I made tonight. It was very sticky, the others were a little sticky but I could easily handle them, not this one! It's 10 days old now, is that normal?

I couldn't work with it, wasn't sure what to do so I kneaded in a little more flour (less than 1/4C, for about 3 minutes) and stuck it back in the fridge to try again another day.

?

Shawn, yes, that's normal if you had the dough refrigerated, not frozen. It was over-fermented. Ten days would be too long to hold the dough in the fridge. Perhaps bakeries, where the equipment might more carefully control the temps and humidity, might do this (I don't really know, but I doubt it). But in home fridges, you open the door a lot and the temps will fluctuate.

I usually mix the dough, let it stand at room temp for 10 or 15 minutes to make sure it is well hydrated, and shape it into balls. I roll the balls in the flour bin to coat them well (some people oil them) and wrap them in plastic wrap. Then I freeze them in a Ziploc freezer bag for up to a couple of months.

24 to 48 hours before making the pizzas (occasionally on the morning of baking day), I take however many balls that I'll need out of the freezer. I sprinkle a fairly thick coating of flour in the bottom of a Pyrex baking dish or pie pan (if you only have metal pans, line them with parchment so the dough doesn't touch the metal). Put the frozen dough ball in the pan, sprinkle the top with flour. Cover the dough with an oiled sheet of plastic and slip the pan into a produce bag from the supermarket. Make sure the bag is pooched out with air and use a clothespin to seal the bag. The assembly goes into the fridge to thaw and cold-proof (retard) for 1 to 2 days. The bag provides the humid environment that the dough loves.

Then, on baking day, I remove the assembly from the fridge and allow the dough to proof, still in the bag, at room temp until needed. I plan for a 6-hour proof for one of my doughs and about a 2-hour proof for the other.

For a last-minute pizza-making decision, you can remove the frozen dough balls from the freezer, put into the proofing pan as above, but add 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the dough ball's size) to the room-temp proof time---1 hour for individual pizzas, 1 1/2 hours for 10-12" pies. The dough will still be good but probably not quite as flavorful.

Rita

Rita, what is the optimum # of days to ferment in the fridge from your experience? My experience, my dough in my fridge, leads me to believe that 2 or 3 days is best.

Steve, I agree with you. I personally don't think that retarding a dough for longer than 2 days has any advantage, at least with the doughs that I have made. I think that 24 hours is enough.

I wonder if many people could tell the difference between a 24-hour fermentation and a 48-hour fermentation, not taking into consideration the degradation of the proteins after 24 hours.

Rita

Thanks for all the info Rita, I'll be sure to get some in the freezer! That will be very handy.

I retried the dough from last night that was so sticky ... funny but I worked it really well tonight ... nicest shaped pie of my first five ... I floured it a bit and I was throwing it up in the air and it turned into a circle instead of a triangle. When it was almost stretched enough I took the rolling pin to it, just a few strokes then on to the parchment on the pan. Stretched the edge around the underside of the pan all the way around, sauced and topped, then brought the edge back, rolling it under itself from the bottom side. Made a real nice edge this way.

Wine Chorizo, yellow onions (got a little black), sliced fresh buttons:
2008-11-16a001.jpg

Just wanted to add this in case someone else's dough went all sticky ... I was able to salvage mine.

Perhaps the two day old dough tastes better than a one day old dough because the taste buds have been on hold for an extra day in anticipation!

Great looking pie-I have been using more mushrooms...good flavor few calories.

Shawn, nice looking pizza!!! I've used doughs with one day fermenting in the frig and two days in the frig. Honestly, I can't tell the difference. Bryan S. does a long ferment in the frig and he says there is a noticeable difference in dough taste. Maybe Bryan can chirp in here.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Rita, what is the optimum # of days to ferment in the fridge from your experience? My experience, my dough in my fridge, leads me to believe that 2 or 3 days is best.

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Steve, I agree with you. I personally don't think that retarding a dough for longer than 2 days has any advantage, at least with the doughs that I have made. I think that 24 hours is enough.

I wonder if many people could tell the difference between a 24-hour fermentation and a 48-hour fermentation, not taking into consideration the degradation of the proteins after 24 hours.

Rita
Steve, Rita, Basic stuff here I know but... The amount of yeast you use will dictate how long you can cold ferment it. The more yeast you start with the sooner you have to use it. The less you start with the longer you can cold ferement it.
icon_wink.gif
Personally I like 7-11 day old pizza dough the best.
icon_biggrin.gif

Absolutely right, Bryan. Less yeast = longer fermentation; a good thing.

If I want a long fermentation (in hours not days), I dissolve 1/8 teaspoon of instant yeast in 1 cup of water, and then use 1 teaspoon of that mixture in my dough, usually a sponge-type (poolish, biga) starter. But a 7-day retardation...not something I see the value in since I haven't tried it. A long fermentation will give you a little more flexibility with the proof; a longer window for shaping and proofing the final dough.

But that's the fun of baking, isn't it? Playing with the dough and seeing how well you can control it to get the results that you're looking for. Obviously you have done that. I'll have to try a 7-dayer to see what happens.

I have been making this dough every week since April of this year. I can tell a difference with the longer ferment times. I have used doughs from 3 days to 11 days. I agree with Bryan, 7 to 11 days is best. I also like the window of opportunity that it allows. If I can't make my pizzas when I have planned to, I have a few days to get them done.

Ok, dumb question. if you want a long ferment, I understand about cutting back on the yeast,but do you decrease the salt in the recipe or does it remain the same?

Originally posted by paul h:
Ok, dumb question. if you want a long ferment, I understand about cutting back on the yeast,but do you decrease the salt in the recipe or does it remain the same?
The recipe I posted on page one is for a long ferment.
icon_confused.gif
Are talking about other recipes? If so the salt is for flavor and also aids in the dough stretching part. I wouldn't cut the salt, I see no reason to.

Bryan, my wife told me that her mother told her
icon_rolleyes.gif
that salt slows the fermenting of the yeast. Don't have any idea if it's true or not. But, I did make a dough last night with reduced yeast and salt. Will let you know how it comes out. Not planning to use the dough til Saturday.Making a pesto pizza. Ingredients kind of expensive but well worth it.

Back