Non Food Grade spray bottle

Werner

TVWBB Member
I have a bunch of cheap spray bottles from Home Depot. These almost certainly are not food grade. Anyone have any experience/opinions whether this is OK?

I would think it would be fine as long as I am not storing long term, but would be curious to get opinions.

Thanks.....

I would give them a good cleaning, than never give it a second thought. Like you said, don't use them storage, especially if you use vinegar in your mist.

Give 'em a good cleaning and rinse 'em out real well. Then leave them to dry for a couple days, and then see if you notice any residual off-odor. If they don't have any lingering nasty odors, you should be okay. I would wash them and let them dry between cooks.

Thanks for that info. It is really good to know. When I was looking for a 5 gallon bucket to brine my turkey I had to search to find a food grade bucket. Gets used once a year and then is stored.

My dad used to use them full of water to hit the flare-ups when he was at the grill..and that is what I would use non-foodgrade spray bottles for if you don't empty them. I have mixed AJ and water in them for one-time cooks, but I empty them immediately after the cook is done.

I would be more worried about the link between smoked and grilled foods to cancer than the possible health effects of using a non food grade spray bottle.

Just sayin'.

Generally, I'd agree with using them, but based on the link Chris posted, at less than $2/bottle, I'd just get some food grade ones just to be safe. Too safe - maybe, but that's okay.

Back