Nomex Seal - Should I put it on the door or the WSM?

That will work. Wipe the aluminum door down with some alcohol or acetone to clean off any residue. I use glazing tape at work on aluminum windows, and as long as you clean one mating side it holds like glue..

Tim

Jason, I'm not sure what size your WSM is but I have put nomex on two 18.5's. The adheasive will come off with some elbow grease but I only put the gasket material on the base of the door below where it pivots. You should be able to make the rest of the door seal reasonably well. If it's the 22 then I do not have any advice.

Jason, I'm not sure what size your WSM is but I have put nomex on two 18.5's. The adheasive will come off with some elbow grease but I only put the gasket material on the base of the door below where it pivots. You should be able to make the rest of the door seal reasonably well. If it's the 22 then I do not have any advice.

It is an 18.5. I get quite a bit of leakage through the door sides. I figure since i have left over seal, I might as well use it.

Then I would put the material on the door not the smoker. If you have the older model, you may have to bend the tab on the latch sligthly to allow for the extra thickness of the material.:)

That will work. Wipe the aluminum door down with some alcohol or acetone to clean off any residue. I use glazing tape at work on aluminum windows, and as long as you clean one mating side it holds like glue..

Tim

I've got lots of smoke residue on the outside of my WSM, will alcohol or acetone work to clean this or will it damage the finish? Thanks!

Use a good degreaser first to clean off any residue. Alcohol or Acetone is used as a finish "Primer" for a good bond on two or one sided tape like Nomex.

Tim

I have some left over Nomex seal after using it for this idea here: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?38530-Attaching-the-blower-to-the-WSM-My-idea

I have enough to do a door seal as there is a lot of smoke pouring out of mine. The question is, should I put the seal on the door or on the WSM? I do not like the idea of adhering something to the WSM for whatever reason. Would putting on the door work just as well?

Can anyone tell me where to get NOMEX SEAL ? I may not have found it on this site yet, but I'ld love to put some sort of seal around the LID on my WSM due to build up of creosote and gunk which sometimes makes it a chore to get the lid off during a smoke. Can anyone direct me to a location or TOPIC that addresses sealing the lid for easy on and off ? Thanks.

Back