No smoke ring

Ryan Barrett

The last two times I have smoked brisket I have not gotten much of a smoke ring. It was not the best I have ever done, but was good in respect to flavor and moistness. The one thing I was doing different was using a clay pot base inside the Brinkman charcoal pan instead of water. Also using the Stoker, but have been using it for some time and getting nice smoke ring. Is the clay pot base the issue or is something else going on?

Ryan,

The smoke ring is formed by interaction of burning wood which produces nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and the pigment within meat which is myoglobin. NO2 is water soluble, so keeping a moist surface will help. Some people claim that the colder the meat when it goes on the smoker, the better the formation of the ring. The amount of time you smoke the meat is also a factor, but 2-3 hours is usually sufficient to form a ring which is before a brisket is tender.

To sum it up, make sure you use sufficient wood and that it is smoking.

Keep the meat surface moist.

Put the meat on straight out of the fridge.

It could be that your last 2 cooks were using cuts that didn't have the same pigment levels of your previous ones.

Paul

I read somewhere where the smoke ring stops forming after 140. Putting in cold meat keeps the meat in smoke, under 140 for a longer time. Although this doesn't mean the meat stops absorbing smoke flavor.

Moisture is important. The clay pot instead of the water and charcoal pan, I am sure made a difference. Try not to open the smoker as you will lose moisture.

This is a link that describes the science of the smoke ring. - Smoke Ring in Barbecue Meats

Thanks for your advice. I used the MM to start the smoker. Took the meat out of fridge quickly applied the rub then put in the smoker. Let the meat slowly come to temp. with the smoker. Plenty of smoke. Since I am using a Stoker I don’t open the smoker for several hours once I get it started. I usually start around 10 or 11 pm and let smoke all night without opening. Then around 6 or 7 am I will open to sop every hour or so. This is pretty much the way I have done things ever since I got my Weber and until the last two times always got a nice smoke ring. I think I will try one more time with the clay pot base and if I still don’t get much of a smoke ring go back to the water and see what happens.

Try putting the brisket in the freezer for about 20-30-mins after applying your rub then onto the smoker. Use the minion with no more than 10-12 briquets. Also, as Russell said, moisture helps, so put a small aluminum pan with some water in it on the bottom rack under the meat. That should get you a great smoke ring.

Al

Back