NIB weber genesis 3

TeeJ

Resized_20240421_163005_1713744979962.jpeg
Hello all! My name is TJ and I have been into weber grilling since I was a kid. My dad had a weber genesis while I was growing up and I always loved the look of it. I restored my dads grill right around when COVID was at its peak. While I was restoring the grill, I also got into collecting the vintage kettles and charcoal cooking. I recently acquired a NIB weber genesis 3. I’m going to assemble it and use it and I was hoping to gain some insights from everyone in regards to how I can keep it in it’s best shape while I enjoy cooking on it. I have SS flavorizers, SS grates, and I was planning on switching out the majority of the hardware for stainless steel. Aside from that is there anything else I can do? I know getting moisture inside of the frame will cause rust so I was thinking of leaving the leg caps off and using stainless steel washers around the bolts. Is there anything else I can do to minimize moisture in the frame? Should I put a heat shield between the cookbox and the left side of the frame? Any ideas and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am excited to unpack this treasure and start enjoying it. Thanks!

I would leave it in the box and store it in a safe location.

I would find a used one to restore and use
^^ THIS! ^^. And if you’re not gonna do that, sell it to some clown like me who will do just that. Take the money and use it towards a restored classic. This deserves to remain unused in the box if you ask me.

TeeJ: I am not sure how old you are, but I am guessing you are not a millennial or younger. If you put it together and use it, just store it under overhead cover, preferably a garage or other enclosure. Very least, a good vented grill cover outdoors. If you do that, the thing will likely out last you. As far as keeping it boxed and stored away: Same thing, you are too old to be hoping it doubles in value in 25 years. Enjoy it now, otherwise consider selling it for a hefty profit to one of the collectors like Tom or BPratt. From what you posted above, I think it will have a couple ribeyes on it by the end of the weekend.

I think leaving it in the box would be a waste. I would put it together and use it too, but it would be in it's stock configuration. I wouldn't switch out the hardware for stainless, it's not necessary. The climate you're in, the biggest enemy of that grill will be the sun fading the lid and control panel. Keep it out of constant sun and it will look like new for thirty years.

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I understand wanting to leave it in the box, this is truly a piece of weber history. But I just want to enjoy it, and I intend to take great care of it so that it lasts my lifetime, and maybe one of my kids will need it in college just like my dad gave me his when I needed it. I live in Southern California so my weather is pretty moderate. I am considered costal, but I am not near the ocean. Does anyone have any recommendations on covers to prevent fade? The bbq will be kept outside during the majority of the year, and during the winter I will bring it into my garage with my kettles. Thanks for the feedback again, and if anyone else has any advice, I sure would appreciate it!

Just blocking it from exposure to direct sun would be a good idea. If the left side feet have caps in the bottom, I would drill holes into them to allow any rain that gets in to drain easily.

My always covered black 26" kettle has the fade.
I always figured that the heat from using the grill contributed at least somewhat to the fade on the lid. The worst fade I ever see on an old Genesis is usually on the control panel though.

For summer, I bought the bikini top for my Genesis 1000. I love it because it covers the lid and tables but leaves easy access to the lower shelf for storage. The bikini fits a Genesis1000 perfectly. in the pic it looks like a Silver B, but it is a 1000 with Silver B trim.

For the rest, I bought four matching beach towels at Costco. These keep leaf, bug and bird droppings off the grills and I toss them in the washer every couple of weeks to clean them.

In San Diego, either a towel or a bikini might work well for you.

1713984644874.png

I appreciate all of the feedback, thank you everyone! The hood is red. I actually stumbled upon an original cover for it a week before finding the boxed genesis, but it only covers the top half of the grill. Maybe that is enough, but I also wanted to get another cover to keep the original one in good shape. I am really looking forward to putting it together. Does anyone use a grill mat? Are they mostly used to protect the deck, or do you think they are at all beneficial to the grill. I was thinking that getting it up off the patio with the grill mat might help with water drainage? The genesis 3 doesn't have the casters on the left side of the grill, so I was trying to think of how I can protect the frame legs on that side.

Back