Newbie questions.....

Mike Clews

The title says no question too basic so here goes.....

1. I'm presuming briquettes all the way with the WSM? Any particulars? Any views on lumpwood for anything other than in the kettle bbq?
  2. How much do you use the bottom rack to cook? Is there any particular combination of meats that would suits one meat on the top and one on the bottom?
  3. How far out is the temp gauge on the lid compared to the temp on the top rack? Did you all change the gauge of add a second gauge?
  4. Is there anything you would avoid trying to cook on the WSM?

I did a couple of chickens on their own with a spicy rub yesterday as a test run, left them for nearly 3 hours and they turned out great!

Thanks in advance.
Mike

1. No, not just briquettes. I use lump a lot (but not exclusively). It requires packing the lump in tightly to get a consistent burn, but that isn't difficult. I guess it also helps that I have a Stoker to help maintain a steady temperature.
2. I seldom use the bottom rack, only because I don't cook more than I can fit on the top rack. I do use the bottom rack (only) when I cook chickens, turkey breasts, or a whole turkey vertically just because of the extra headroom.
3. My old WSM doesn't have a lid thermometer so I can't help you with this one.
4. I think I'd be willing to try anything on the WSM that I would cook in an oven, except foods that don't go well with wood smoke. An angel food cake, for example, wouldn't be on my list. But just about any meat or fish would be a candidate, and I want to try pizza.

1....I use standard Kingsford charcoal and I am very satisfied with the results.
1a...start your fire using the Minion method, easy to read about that on this website.
2....I personally have only used the bottom rack once to cook a turkey using a vertical stand, next time I will cook it on the top rack laying on it's back.
3...It depends, initially mine can be 40+ degrees lower, after cooking for several hours it gets to be ~15 degrees lower. Once the cooker is running at a stable temperature the lid thermometer offset is very consistent from cook to cook so it (at least mine) can be effectively used.
4...Tofu.

Other stuff.
I cook with a dry foiled water pan, easy cleanup, faster temperature response when vents are adjusted, easy cleanup, less fuel consumption, easy cleanup.....and easy cleanup.
I like using probe thermometers to monitor the grate temp and the food. Other than a chimney the Maverick remote thermometer is the best accessory I own.
Personnel preference for me is to cook low & slow <240, for brisket I do not normally wrap, for pork butt and ribs I wrap when the color is right, whole chicken 300-325 top rack laying on it's back cooked until the legs/thighs move freely in the joints.
Fasten the charcoal ring to the bottom grate with stainless steel zip ties (Home Depot).

Last edited:
1. Some people enjoy using lump. Personally I want my smoke flavor from the wood and my charcoal for heat, but it's a personal preference.

2. I use the bottom rack all the time. I find it to be slightly cooler than the top rack. So i put the smaller pieces of meat on the bottom.

3. It can be way off. I have a maverick which can read the temp on the grates and also allows me to monitor the temp inside.

4. Anything you wouldn't want smoked

Mike.

1. You might want to try Aussie Heat Beads. I swear by them for consistent burn.
2. I never use the bottom rack or water pan. I use a foiled one of these for a heat sink.
3. Not the most accurate. The Maverick-732 is a must for me when smoking.
4. Tripe. Ewwwch!

Back